Cardiologists Recommendation

Brye

I've seen the same cardiologist over 2 years now. I like him and his treatments have been very reasonable. I feel like I'm on the right meds. My problem is bradycardia right now. I've tried backing off of my atenolol and that didn't work. Tried stopping the midodrine, that didn't go well either. My HR's are dropping into the high 30's low 40's. I've been feeling awful but it's so hard to know what that's from. Could be holiday stress, bradycardia, med side effects, POTS, 4 kids, low vit D, so many possibilities.

He's recommended a pacemaker. I'm pretty sure there are a couple on this site who have a pacemaker. I've agonized over this decision. No guarantees it'll help but will make adjusting meds easier and my be able to take a higher dose of atenolol. Such a tough decision. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. I believe it was "Potsgirl" who has one and said there was some improvement. Anyone else? I'm set to go back in mid January and I'm hoping to make my decision by then. UgH!!

Thanks!

Brye

Hi Brye,

Yes, I have a pacemaker. I received one due to my bradycardia and dilated cardiomyopathy about 5 years ago. I do think that's it's helped because it doesn't allow my HR to go under 60 bpm. I still faint and have seizures, however. Caroline, I'm glad you no longer faint. Brye, I would say to go for it, but get any MRI's you might need out of the way because you can't get one after you get your pacer. The surgery wasn't bad, but you obviously need to plan on recovery time. I think there's a couple more of us here that also have pacers...hope you get more opinions, and keep us up to date on what you decide!