Standup Mri

DBP4620

What I do know about them having EDS and Chiari I, POTS/OH/dysautonomia is that with chiari I (cerebellar tonsils exit the base of brain into spinal column), a supine MRI shows yes there is a chiari I and it's measurements that are useless. Seated or standing MRI are more useful as it shows the pull of gravity on the Chiari I (since we spend most of our time in upright position). This could impede blood/spinal fluid flow in/around the brain.

Dynamic Imaging has website that explains. Chiari Institute also has website videos you can watch. I would presume that whatever it is your doctor is looking at would be the same theory.

I was going to ask a similar question. I've been holding on to a prescription for a laying/upright MRA for months. I haven't had it done because I wasn't sure if this was the right test to show brain blood flow. I already had a laying MRA and it was normal - just don't want to go through it again if it's not the right test. Any opinions on upright MRA would be welcome too.

I was going to ask a similar question. I've been holding on to a prescription for a laying/upright MRA for months. I haven't had it done because I wasn't sure if this was the right test to show brain blood flow. I already had a laying MRA and it was normal - just don't want to go through it again if it's not the right test. Any opinions on upright MRA would be welcome too.

I believe that it would be a pertinent finding on seated/standing MRI that would then lend medical necessity justify the need with health insurance carriers to authorize the brain flow studies. I think it is a process of one finding at a time.

Right, but does arterial structure = blood flow issues?

It would show impeded flow in arteries with things such as aneyrysms, arteriovenous malformation, blockages that interfere with blood flow in the arteries/vessels, or search for a source of bleed. It evaluated the carotid arteries, the basilar artery (two arteries that arise from the chest into the vertebrae) and the circle of Willis (group of vessels at base of skull that feed the brain)'

A CSF flow study is an MRI of brain or spine that evaluates the cerebral spinal fluid flow around the brain, brainstem and/or spinal cord (depending on which type is ordered).

I hope that clarifies a little better?

Naomi- Would a transcranial doppler perhaps show more of the cerebral blood flow issues you are asking about? It seems like that's what Stewart is using in a lot of his studies on the POTS topic.

DBP4620- Not sure a stand up MRI would show anything about POTS but it might be helpful to rule out other possible causes of POTS type symptoms e.g MS etc. Also would show the Chiari better like RubyTuesday mentioned.