Lexapro and migraines

violahen

Hi Everyone:

I haven't checked in with the forum for a while. I have been going through one of my worst physical times ever. I just got out of the hospital and I am still a wreck.

My POTS has been really exascerbated by the fact that I hve had the flu for a week. (The POTS stuff was really acting up before the flu and then....bam.

But my question for you guys is about lexapro....some of you may recall that I stopped taking lexapro about a month ago...I just didn't think it was helping. The withdrawal was **** but I was happy to finally be off of it. HOWEVER, I get migraines when I get my period and I just got the WORST migraine I have ever had in my life. While in the hospital I was in so much pain that I was starting to hallucinate. The migraine is slowly improving...I've had it for three days...and I am recalling that when I first started lexapro I noticed my migraines were much LESS severe....I remember thinking, WOW, if this is helping my migraines, it's worth it....I guess I eventually took it for granted that it seemed to help.

Has anyone else had this experience? Out of desperation, I think I am going to go back on lexapro because I just can't deal with another migraine like this one.

Thanks.

Kristen

Guest tearose

Hi Kristen! I have no experience with lexapro or migraines but I did find a lot on the internet! Lexapro is used to treat migraines, so maybe it does explain why you now are dealing with these migraines!! If no one here can offer information can you do a little web search?

You worked so hard to come off the lexapro. Maybe all you need is a different way to treat these new headaches/migraines?

keep looking for the answers, this is a good question

best regards, tearose

I hope that Lexapro is helpful for your migranes as I know how bad they can be. I thought that was my mine problem for years but with so many other symptoms it took forever to be diagnoised correctly. My nureologist told me that I'm in the 5% of the population that preventive and abortive meds don't help (like I didn't know that). I now have a minimum of 3-5 migranes a month with some lasting days so I'm jealous but glad that something may help yours. Have you tried any other drugs to help? There is a looonng list of meds used to help migranes. I wish you luck finding one that is perfect for you!

Denise

Guest tearose

Hi again Kristen! It isn't clear to me now that I read the post in the light of a new day...were you taking lexapro to prevent migraines? It is also prescribed as a muscle relaxant and an antidepressant. Were you using it for something other than migraines???

Or is it that you never had migraines until you stopped the lexapro?

Okay, I'm just trying to figure it out...in the meantime, I sure hope the migraines can be treated with something else so you can get back to other things!

feel better, tearose

Hi:

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I have always had migraines...along with POTS. Lexapro was prescribed by Dr. Grubb for my POTS symptoms however...not specifically my migraines. But I did notice that while I was on it my migraines were less severe. I was never sure if it was a coincidence or not....but now I think not because now that I am off of lexapro my migraines are UNBEARABLE.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I soooo appreciate them all!

Kristen

Please explore the possibility of food in your diet. I have mentioned before that my migraines have almost disappeared since I left SUGAR. Have a glucose intolerance test to determine if you have this problem. I recently have been suffering from horrible headaches. I believe for some reason I can’t eat bread anymore. I love bread and the mass produced bread is a no go lately. Anyway so be it if it keeps me headache free. Good Luck I remember what it was like to be were you are. I always use to joke that I had more medication in my cupboard than a pharmacy. Just remember that all this medication has to be filtered by our poor kidneys. My Aunt was the one who forced me to explore other options to my migraines. I am so glad she encourages me, as life is much easier with out constant migraines. :rolleyes: