Swollen, Red, Itchy Hands?

kmichaelson

Hi everyone, I've been having a new issue lately (fun, fun). My hands have started swelling pretty dramatically, and when this happens they get really really itchy and red! Could this be a blood pooling thing? I can't figure it out. Often it happens after I've been moving around, like going for a walk. Also, it's happened twice when I've been wearing gloves (a different pair each time so I don't think it's an allergy). Sometimes just part of my hand will swell, like my palm pad, and other times both hands will swell a lot--fingers, palm, everything--so that I can't even move my fingers properly.

Sorry, I know it's a bit weird and vague! I just don't know what's causing it. I take Florinef, but the first time this happened was before I started Florinef.

I started with that problem right before my POTS hit, but only when I would go for an hour's walk. Then POTS hit and of course, I didn't walk anymore, so my hands didn't swell and itch anymore. But, a few years later I began getting "surges" that began in my mid back that went up into my head and down into my hands. Now, I get that daily, even though I may not be upright over my limit. Heat (well, for me anything 75F or over) makes my hands swell and itch. I am assuming this is all do to some hormonal vasodilation thing, because it can happen to me sitting also.

I get this but not from walking. Mine seems to be related to some mystery allergy I have that I can't figure out. It happened last night in fact so I took pics to show to docs. We are about to begin looking at mast cell issues for me so I figure taking pics will help the docs see what I'm talking about. I have actually started taking pics of anything that I can document that way (wish I had started this 4 yrs ago) so I can show the doctors what I am describing. It has been helpful so far.

That's a really good idea to take pictures, Katy! I'll have to do that next time. It's possible it's an allergy for me, but it just feels like it must be related to circulation since it happens after I walk or am somewhat active. I just went for a walk and it's kind of cold out, and afterwords my feet felt itchy and burny in the same way that my hands do. (I don't know if they were swollen--didn't look.) Who knows! Good luck with your mast cell tests!

This happens to me when my hands are real warm. That is usually after being slightly active, like doing laundry, or when the house gets too warm. Last week we needed the heat on and it caused a backslide, vertgio and weakness. Now I drink ice water and keep the house 65 degrees or colder. Heat on only for a short time. This can be rough stuff, but I will never give up on it. Blessing to all, Mary :rolleyes: