Vitamin B5 Deficiency Causes Hypotension.

beggiatoa

I don't know how I missed this post - but, it is fascinating. Someone mentioned a post on choline to me and doing a search this came up. Look at all the referred posts and references. This is full of information that I had not seen before. Some of it, I had recently started doing myself because of my own research - but, this explains the whys so much better than I ever could. It's pretty deep some of it and I had to read it over several times to understand it. But, it might explain some of our symptoms.

Issie

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old post but I wanted to add info. I did micronutrient testing almost a year ago but got the results over the phone. For some reason that failed to relay that I have a major B5 (pantothenate) deficiency. I am in the bottom 7th percentile. I recently moved so I had to get all of my medical records to take with me. When I read the description of the symptoms I nearly screamed.

"Pantothenic acid plays vital roles in energy production from foodstuffs...Pantothenate deficiency symptoms are thought to be uncommon because of widespread distribution in all foodstuffs, however, symptoms may include fatigue, depression, burning feet, dermatitits, burning or pain of arms and legs, anorexia, nausea, indigestions, irritability, fainting, hair loss, increased heart rate (!!!!!!!!!), and susceptibility to infection."

I cannot believe my doctor did not red flag this considering my main complaint forever has been that I am just SOOO tired.... not to mention "increased heart rate."

It's only been two days, but I already feel better within 30 min of taking 500mg of d-calcium pantothenic acid. Since I started a new job last week I fast tracked a cardiologist appt for this Wednesday so I could beg to go on Provigil, but now I am rethinking that.

For the record, someone mentioned a possible genetic component. I think it must be, because I have changed my diet a million times and have felt this way forever. And, I have a genetic condition where I have extremely low LDL cholesterol and there is a disease where the two go together - pretty sure I don't have that though, otherwise I might be dead by now.

• 1 year later...

Interesting post on another B vitamin.

Rachel