Does Anyone Know Anything About Siadh?

Angelika_23

Hello,

Today I had a person ask me if I had ever been tested for SIADH. They asked because they have a friend with POTS and they have this SIADH condition in addition to POTS. Does anyone know anything about it?

I know I have low blood volume and I have trouble holding on to my salt. At times, my K (Potassium) is very low, and at other times is normal. I have no idea what that is about. My body can be so annoying.

I am confused by the Antiduretic wording... Wouldn't that indicate you have too much water?

Someone please educate me :)

Angelika

Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone secretion. I know it has something to do with the kidney, but besides that, I don't know what "turns it on" or gets it happening. I was reading something last week in relation to POTS, and I ran into this, but now can't remember how it tied into this. I will have to see if I can see what I was looking at.

BTW, "antidiuretic" has to be one of the worst word combination! It is literally hard to grasp without breaking it down into "anti" means against, diurese means lose fluid. Oh, so, against losing fluid. Crazy. I have to do this in my head everytime!LOL

From medscape reference:

"The key to the pathophysiology, signs, symptoms, and treatment of SIADH is to understand that the hyponatremia is a result of excess water and not a serum sodium deficiency. SIADH consists of hyponatremia, inappropriately elevated urine osmolality (>200 mOsm/kg), excessive urine sodium (UNa >30 mEq/L), and decreased serum osmolality. These findings occur in the absence of diuretic therapy; in the presence of euvolemia without edema; in the setting of otherwise normal cardiac, renal, adrenal, hepatic, and thyroid function; and in absence of factors known to stimulate ADH secretion such as severe pain, hypotension, and stress.

In SIADH, the inappropriately elevated level of vasopressin enhances the reabsorption of water, thus concentrating the urine. It is the excess free water absorption that causes hyponatremia."

In English, this says that your body produces too much ADH/vasopressin and therefore, holds on to too much water only, not salt. Your urine would be concentrated and your blood would be thinner than normal with low sodium concentration. Many of us have the exact opposite issue, which is more like (or actually is) diabetes insipidus. If you are volume depleted, I doubt that you would have SIADH. Urination is the key to diagnosing this, if you urinate a lot and it is not yellow or orange, you won't have SIADH.