Mri Scan And Bad Reaction - Is There A Reason

E246

Hi,

I had a MRI scan for ongoing pain in lumbar region yesterday evening. I was not expecting a problem but as soon as it started my heart rate shot up. We tried again and i managed to breathe through it but had to stop the last test as my breathing was going haywire - i think because i was getting very stressed by the fast heart rate. I couldn't understand it.

I had read here that it was no problem for people with pots and i was not expecting a problem. I had taken 2.5mg valium as i have not been very well for a few days and just to make sure i was calm.

I do from time to time have adrenaline surges and i think once a surge is set off it takes its own course but i do normally manage them. i am not a nervy person and i know how to do relaxation breathing to bring my heart rate down.

It has really upset me as it has made me feel a bit mad. I did not even mind being in the tunnel.

Is there any technical reason why this happened?

I have claustrophobia too and I have a brain and liver tumor and have to have them checked every year. The last time they did the abdominal check they wrapped me up in a blanket - put straps across me and then put a cage over my entire body - then put me to the very top of the MRI machine where I was sasuaged in and felt smothered. I had this panic happen to me and it wasn't pretty. I didn't think I'd be able to do it at all. They had to pull me out and let me calm down and quite shaking. They said I really needed the test because of the shape my liver is in and it was very necessary to do. So, I told them to try again and before they put me in I closed my eyes and told them to keep talking to me the whole time, I prayed the whole time I was in there and tried to keep calm. I did manage to do it.

MRI's (even without contrast) can stir up mast cells. I am supposed to pre-medicate before MRI's.... although I've never had a problem. Tachy can be a sign of anaphylaxis. During anaphylaxis, I've had the exact same thing happen where my heart beats so fast that I can't breathe.

Is it the stress from the MRI or is it something to do with the magnets? I've tried to sleep on magnets and it's too stimulating for me. A friend of mine had one of those matress things with the magnets. It seemed to give me allot of anxiety. I didn't know it could cause MCAD to stir up. How does this happen?

Thanks for your responses - i can usually control any anxiety and i was quite happy to go back in each time and try again so it is reassuring to know you have odd responses too.

Macks mum - Can you tell me what anaphylaxis actually means in instances like this. i understand it in relation to stings but i have often had this response - eg on an airplane before take off but after it had pressurized really quickly ( because it was late) I get rapid heart rate and go into shocK afterward ( i shake and shiver) This happened in between the scans.

Goodness there is a lot to understand with this illness.

Thanks for your help.

Oh yes- the shakes afterwards. Me too. I get so cold. My hands and feet burn dark purple too. Whatever blood that I have left (plasma leaks out to surrounding tissues- leaving us even more hypovolemic) is shunted to more vital organs. It's scary. Did you have a panicky feeling too? Sounds like your mast cells are pretty easily stirred up. Have you looked into mast cell activation?

I'd be VERY careful next time I was having an MRI, X-ray, or CT-scan. I have to pre-medicate before all of them. EACH stirs up mast cells in susceptible individuals. With my pre-meds, I am fine. With your other episodes as well, I think you need a mast cell work-up.

Thanks, i dont know much about mast cells - will look it up. I did not feel panicy just very fast heart.

Thing is i am due one for my neck in London and feel a bit worried about this now as i had taken some valium but only 2.5mg - not alot - but it had no effect.

Issie - meant to say - took a deep intake of breathe over your experience with the blanket - that made me feel claustophobic.

No, no- valium is not a pre-med for MCAD. I have to take an H-1 or two (like zyrtec), and H-2 (like ranitidine), and singulair. I also have prednisone, which I rarely bother with as I am fine with the above. Ask your doc if you could take a benadryl and ranitidine beforehand as they are quite benign and will prevent a mast cell reaction. The benadryl might make you a tad drowsy & work in place of the valium.

Good luck with the next one. Let us know how you do!

Julie