Do Your Insides Feel Weird?

HopeSprings

I've wanted to post this for a while, but have struggled with how to describe it. I'll try... it's usually as I'm waking up in the morning, my insides (where your organs are from I guess sternum down to pelvic area feels strange - like a swirling sensation? Then when I stand up I feel a ton of pressure in the left area by pelvic bone (where kidney is?), as well as just under the left rib where spleen would be and the urge is to squeeze or apply pressure to these areas - it relieves the sensation somewhat. Or I'll sit and bend forward with my hands squezzing around my waist - that helps too. Almost like everything expands and then pressure builds up. Could this be blood pooling? Would it be that quick and obvious a feeling?

When I first wake up I'm full of air.

I couldn't tell what it was at first.

It felt like chest pressure and weak heart.

One gas moved I got relief.

It was difficult to tell that the air was what was actually causing the feeling.

I just think all sensations for me feel both exaggerated and distorted.

One day I was having again stomach gas on my right side. Instead of it hurting there I had a shooting pain that ran up my right lung and next my right ear hurt and then that pain from the ear went up and wrapped like a band around my head. As soon as the stomach gas let up the pain in the other places stopped immediately.

This stuff is bizarre.

I have not really experienced anything like it in my life.

I dont know if this is similar but on days when I am really symptomatic I have this dropping/ pulling sensation when I stand.....it feels like I am being sucked through the floor....my heart feels weird...my chest is tight and short of breath and I feel like I am going to die.....its scary and I have no idea what is causing it? is that what pooling feels like??

Bren

Hey Naomi!

I tell my mom all the time that I feel like I have aliens in my gut. I can actually watch my abdominal region expand when I am really POTSie (I end up looking like I'm pregnant!). It's not gas...its the blood pooling. I can even see my "heart beat" in my abdomen while I'm laying down. It happens no matter what position I'm in...standing, sitting, laying down, and, it gives me that swirling feeling you mention. Plus, it sometimes causes sharp pains for me. I know what you mean about wanting to apply pressure too, but, I feel like my hands aren't big enough to apply pressure to a big enough area. I even have to keep different sized pants at this point as I can wear anything from a 6 to a 10 depending on how bad of a day I'm having with the blood pooling in my abdomen. It's freaky!

Katie

The POTS doc says the whole thing is the ultimate result of the blood pooling. He says the stabbing pain is most likely because my gut is "turned on" to digest stuff that isn't there because it has received a large dose of blood for no good reason.

So, the good news is that if it gets really bad (like in the fetal position on the bathroom floor bad), I have a Belladonna (barbituate) prescription that I can take and it makes it go away in about 45 mins. As a wonderful side effect of this med, it makes all my symptoms go away for anywhere from 8-24 hours because it depresses your nervous system. The bad news is, its addictive, of course, so I try to only use it when things are really painful and I just can't take it. I'll admit being tempted to take it on just bad POTS days, but I haven't caved in because I just don't want to end up physically addicted to meds because of this thing. This is actually one of my major "moral" dilemmas I struggle with. :(