What Is The Purpose Of Mestinon??

brethor9

Hi Guys

Thanks for replying!

Rama- I'm sorry I am brand new pretty much to all this and have yet to wrap my head around all the ins and outs of transmitters etc.......could you explain in simpler terms what acetylcholine is? My body produces way too much norepinephrine which I think is probably at the root of my POTS and yet every beta blocker I try I have had a reaction to......would Mestinon help with the excess of norepinephrine?

Thanks Bren

Acetylcholine, or Ach is the neurotransmitter that binds to the synapse at the neuromuscular junction between the motor neuron and the motor plate on the muscle fibers, causing the muscles to contract. Ach is a major neurotransmitter, involved in all aspects of the central and peripheral nervous system. Mestinon is FDA approved for the disease myastenia gravis, in which the immune system damages the neuromuscular junction, therefore Ach cannot be released and the muscles cannot contract. However, as Ach is involved in the ANS function as well, it can cause the smooth muscles surrounding the blood vessels to contract and constrict the blood vessels, thereby raising the BP. It is prescribed off-label for dysautonomia diseases.

Is that how you put it in simple terms LOL?

It has a large amount of different roles in the autonomic nervous system but the theory is that it either keeps your parasympathetic system (relaxing and dilating branch of the ANS) from going into withdrawal and causing an over-reaction to standing from the sympathetic system OR it potentiates the effects of norepinephrine and stops blood pooling, thus perhaps reducing this problem.

However, as Ach is involved in the ANS function as well, it can cause the smooth muscles surrounding the blood vessels to contract and constrict the blood vessels, thereby raising the BP

It actually utilises Nitric oxide to do this - elevated nitric oxide levels would lead to an over-reaction from normal acetylcholine levels - conversly, low neuronal nitric oxide or unresponsive alpha 1 adrenergic receptors or AT1 angiotensin II receptors would cause an under-reaction to acetylacholine.