SSRI question

avais1

I have a question for those of you who take SSRI's. In April, it will be two years that I have been taking Lexapro. I tried to wean off of it once or twice, but the worst POTS symptoms always return. I am forced to take it if I want to feel decent. My question is, do any of you know if there is a "time limit" on how long we can take SSRI's? Is it okay to stay on it for years at a time? I read all of the prescribing information on the websites, but they do not address this question, and (get this) my PCC doesn't know the answer! Have any of you been taking SSRI's for a few years? Thanks for your help! ;)

Hi:

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I had been taking lexapro for about two years for my POTS symptoms. I finally decided to wwean myself off because I didn't feel it really helped. It especially seemed to contribute to my brain fog. In any case, I HAVE weaned myself off....the weaning/withdrawal process was HORRIBLE...it lasted about 7 weeks....all throughout I considered just getting back on it because I felt so badly. I decided to stick it out after reading up a lot more on lexapro withdrawal and it paid off. I'm really glad I did it.

Now that's me....it's highly possible that you DO need it...but I just wanted to point out that weaning/withdrawal does take a while, and it could possibly have been that rather than the POTS that was making you so sick.

My doc explained that your brain needs a chance to start building up seratonin on its own after you stop getting that boost artifically with the drug.

Anyway....GOOOD LUCK! Do what's best for you.

If you are interested in reading more about lexapro withdrawal I would suggest doing a search for "lexapro withdrawal".

Kristen

Good question! I have asked my electrophysiologist this question. I am in the same boat you are. After being off Prozac for two months, I start to get intolerable POTS symptoms again. He says it is considered a very safe drug, and there is no evidence of toxic effects associated with long term use of SSRIs. He said some people get elevated liver enzymes after awhile, but this is not dangerous or going to cause any health problem.

I am hopeful that with time, I can wean off for good! But in the meantime, thank goodness for it! I wouldn't be too concerned, but good to keep an eye on the literature out there to weigh the risks and benefits.

Are you on the lowest dose possible? Keep in mind that most people with depression take it at higher levels than do POTS patients, so that hopefully reduces any possible problems associated with long term use.

Katherine

Katherine,

If you don't mind my asking, what dose of Prozac do you find helpful for your POTS symptoms? As you know, I've had the issue with Lexapro significantly increasing my ectopic beats. I do get them off SSRIs, but I really noticed a major increase when I when I recently bumped from 2.5 mg of Lexapro up to 5 mg - and an immediate cessasion when I took it back down to 2.5 mg. I know Calypso had a similar reaction. It's particularly frustrating, since I noticed a positive difference in my level of anxiety (apart from that generated by the extra beats!) and my 'hair trigger' or reactive heart rate really improved on the Lexapro. So SSRIs definitely do something to rewire my brain chemistry in a way that impacts my hyper-reactive ANS.

So, before I write off all SSRIs, I'm wondering if I should give Prozac or Zoloft a go. I know some people have dramatically different responses to different drugs in the same class. I actually have a script for Prozac. I once took it at a starting dose of 20 mg by a well-meaning psych who didn't understand how sensitive I am to meds - and had a horrible reaction. But I tried again about a year later starting at 2.5 mg. I don't think 2.5 mg did anything good or bad and I eventually just went med free for quite some time. I'm wondering if I should try Prozac again, but try to up the dose to 5 or 10 mg. I know I need just enough to tweak the brain wires, but no more!

Thanks, as always, for your insights!

RG

RG--I take 20 mg--always have. I did have bad side effects for the first 4 to 6 weeks! My POTS was worse--more ectopics, more fatigue. However, my doctor kept encouraging me to ride it out and see if after 2 months my symptoms wouldn't start improving. If I hadn't had full confidence in him, I would have stopped taking it. Anyway, sure enough, for me, I improved by 8 weeks, and then continued in a general upward swing from then on. I might have done better with a tapered up dosing, who knows?

I hope you find something that will help you!

Katherine

Thank you for all of your responses. What a varied bunch we all are! I only take 5 mg of Lexapro, but it was **** to get me on it. For me, it was the only option, as my dysautonomia hits me particularly hard in the GI area, and it was the only SSRI that did not rip my intestines apart. My doc, too, made me "weather the storm" with it, and I must admit, I did get a lot better with my GI issues after I got the drug into after a few weeks. It also seemed to slow my heart down, almost back to normal. Thanks again.

Susie:

I had extremely VIVID dreams while on Lexapro, but not anythingh I would characterize as nightmares. In fact, they were mostly just very real seeming and sometimes a bit strange! I used to joke with my fiancee about not needing to rent movies at Blockbuster, because I had nightly entertainment while sleeping!

My understanding is that vivid dreams are a relatively common side effect of SSRIs and that seems to particularly be the case with Lexapro. Maybe your doc to try a different SSRI if the nightmares are too bothersome?

Good luck to you!

RG