Well Bystolic Was Not The "miracle" Drug!

Hi Everyone,

Well, I was on Bystolic for almost a week and I noticed two days ago that my left leg was swelling up by the end of the day and becoming very painful, I was also suffering from terrible fatigue. I thought I just needed to get used to the drug but then this morning I went to the pharmacy to pick-up prescriptions and while standing at the counter asking the pharmacist about the side effects of this drug and the problems I was experiencing, I began to feel very ill. My heart took off like a bat out of "you know where" and I became nauseous, sweaty, and then there it was, the dark black hole, my husband said you could see my eyes roll back in my head and the blood and color drain from my face as I went crashing to the floor. I was unconscious for about 3 minutes. Needless to say the ambulance was called and off to the ER. My BP was 90/62 and my heart rate was weak and slow at 42 bpm. They gave me a bolus of saline on the way to the hospital trying to raise the BP and HR. I got to the ER and now my respirations were below 7, so the monitors were going off, but the BP was slowly going up with the saline input and the HR was getting stronger. I was put on O2 and monitors and watched, but everything came back to a low norm. They contacted my cardio doc who agreed with the ER doc that this was a reaction to the Bystolic and I needed to come off of it. It was now crashing me at all levels, BP, HR, and Resp. After several hours the ER let me go and I now have to follow-up with cardio doc. However, I am still feeling like yuck, but for the first time not from everything being so high but just the opposit, everything is to low, this ***** just as BAD!!! So, I am now back to the wheel chair and waiting to see my doc to see where we go from here.

I am very sorry to report that this drug caused this reaction, I was really hoping this was the "miracle", but I have learned from the past not to get my hopes up until I have been on it for a couple of weeks, b/c this is not the first time that something like this has happened after several days use of a drug. Anyway, I will let you know where I go from here. Right now, I am feeling yucky and very depressed, have spent most of the afternoon crying especially after the ER and my doc gave me instructions to return to my wheel chair until further notice and instructed my hubby not to allow me to get up from it with out someone being there to help and watch me. It has been a bad day, and right now I am just hoping that tomorrow will be better.

Debra

I too had a bad reaction to Bystolic. Dropped my bp to 80/38 and hr went skyhigh, had bad chestpain,shortness of breath and felt like I was dying. I only tried 1/2 of what cardiologist wanted me to try.

The only thing I have been able to tolerate without dropping my bp too low is a small amount of clonidine and a small amount of midodrine together. This has helped me some.

It is so frustrating when we try a new drug and it ends up making us crash. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I always start at really low dosages and work up because I react so badly to so many meds.

Hope you feel better soon!

Same issues here. Sorry it didn't work. When you have such compounded issues - docs just don't know what to do with us. The things that should help - backfire. The same thing happened to me with clonidine. I took it for about 1 1/2 wks. and thought it was going to be good and then bam - not good, not good at all. It's frustrating for us and our docs. The betablockers all did this to me - I tried about 4 of them. HyperPOTS is the pits - the wild swings from too high bp's and too low bps - with the horrible tacky eposides all the time. Wish we could find the answer.

Issie

I'm like Issie and Kluesyk, that's why I am not on any alpha or beta blockers. The last one I tried, I took maybe a half dose, and for the next few hours, when I stood up, my b/p dropped to 75/45. I sat most of that day until it wore off.

The doctor that prescribed it had said that he would help me get my POTS under control. So, I tried that b/p med, went back and told him how low my standing b/p went so I stopped taking it. He treated me like I was not being cooperative, and basically said that if I'm not going to take the meds, then there was nothing else he could do for me! Uh, like I'm supposed to accept a 75/45 b/p?? I would be like you Dizzy, and passing out all over the place! I can't believe he thought that was acceptable.