Electrolytes & Sodium

Tuesday

I've been going to the gym and trying to run more, but it's always so hard to keep hydrated and not wind up completely wiped out. A friend gave me some of the Clif shot bloks to try, and I really like them. Wanted to share the info here since they are organic, and really help replenish electrolytes. There's one flavor that has 3x sodium, which might also help us potsies!

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_bloks/

I was able to find them at my local health food store, but they also sell them on Amazon. I keep a few in my purse and they really help when I'm feeling depleted.

I like some of the nutrition bars made by the same manufacturer, aimed at women's needs. They have a lot of nutrition, with 8-10 grams of protein, 4-5 grams of fiber, and good antioxidants. It's also a good source of calcium, folic acid, vitamin D, iron and potassium. I really like to use them when I travel, and keep a variety at home. You can find these almost anywhere, especially in the 'health food' aisles or Trader Joe's. You can PM me if you'd like to know more about them...Tuesday, I'm glad that the shot bloks are working for you!

Thanks for the info! I never thought of trying stuff like that before. I hate Gatorade and I'm always trying to figure out non-disgusting ways to add salt to my diet.

And just to chip in a recommendation, I recently started getting Nuun brand electrolyte drink tablets. You plop one in a glass of water or water bottle and it fizzes (not unlike Alka-Seltzer). The flavors are a little out there (Lemon Chai!) but they have more sodium than your regular electrolyte drink or drink mix. I get mine at Earth Fare, but I would suspect that places like Whole Foods would have them too.

These are really full of sugar but better than the artificial sweeteners so many of these things have. For my son, these would be especially convienient to use during classes at school when he gets the brain fog. It seems they do not have a lot of sodium except 1 which is the Margarita flavor and schools are so sensitive they just might take it away! It is the only one that has 210 mg salt, though, all there rest only have 70mg which is hardly anything.