Pots And Thyroid Meds

WyomingGal

I have now been on Levoxyl for three days and I am pretty sure I hate it. I am supposed to take 50mcg, but am only taking half. I called the doctor and they said I need to take the full dose, but that seems like it will just make me feel even worse! I don't think my doctor really understands my situation. How long do I give it?

The first day I felt weird, then had nausea in the afternoon and totally crashed, exhausted. That happened the second day too. Now on the third day I had the worst joint aches, especially in my hips and knees which is weird for me.

Any thoughts? What thyroid meds do you take? Is armour more appropriate since it has T3 and T4? Or synthroid to try a different brand?

They should make it better! No question and I have never heard opposite. I have had a broken Thyroid since 95 so know when it feels weird.If we were cars, our whole engine is out thyroid.

Not synth. med acts that fast. It is SLOW SLOW. Wks long.

that is such a baby dose as well. Are you hypo or hyper? What was your lab count? that will tell you a lot and your nurse will know.

If it's hyPO, it sounds like you are spinning in that and POTS will make it worse. beyond exhaustion will happen. As will all these messes. :(

I take compounded Thyroid. I started off with a TINY bit. Now I am still on a small amount. I didn't like other kinds in the past so I didn't take them. It is a matter of the right kind and amount I think. I love it. Hair is thicker and I feel better.

My cortisol and thyroid have been good. I take very small amounts.

I sympathize b/c I had similarly odd symptoms when I first started synthroid. My dr insisted that there was no way that taking one or two doses was going to cause such symptoms. I was so uncomfortable I went to another dr for another opinion. However, for me, I was eventually able to tolerate sythroid and in fact felt better over time. I know my POTS worsens when my thyroid is off-balance--whether too low or too high.

My dr strongly recommended against armour for me b/c of POTS. Armour is T3 (as I recall) and apparently somewhat variable in concentration(?) from one dose to another. Anyway, he felt it would cause more instability not less and with tachycardia already, not a good mix.

I hope you find the treatment that works for you soon. It can take awhile to feel better if your thyroid has been off for awhile.

I am in normal range because of meds and my dose is 150!!!!

(((wyo))) No wonder. how are you standing? i recall my 1st time with bad hypo--9.9-I would fall on the couch, cross my ankles and they would stay in the same spot for hours.

If your reg doc won't help, try Rhematology.

I swear, docs can be so lazy. Sorry. But they can. We know that because we also have the awesome ones :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Loving this thread. I called them back today an said I will not take Levoxyl, I am having a reaction. I did ask for armour to try, but now I am worrying about that and tachycardia! I am actually thinking he might not even let me take it just because he probably prefers the synthetics.

I have not heard back from the doctor and that makes me mad. I am sure they are thinking that this crazy girl is not taking her medication! I stopped it today and feel way better. I do feel better about my energy though. I thought I was not doing as well as I should have, but now that I have read these posts, I am thinking that I have pushed through this pretty well...I am so ready to feel better. I start student teaching in a couple of weeks and want to get started on a medication. 8 weeks of student teaching and I am done with my master's!

Maybe there is an inactive ingredient (binder, filler) that you are reacting to? I have heard that some people do better on levoxyl and others on synthroid. My dr never wanted me to try levoxyl either even tho I guess it is cheaper. I had so much trouble stabilizing for awhile that once I felt well he said it was not worth trying a switch--and I agreed!!

Hi there,

I actually had my thyroid removed in February of this year. I started levothyroxin 3 days after surgery. I noticed after taking it I felt jittery and shaky and racing heart, so I didn't take it for a couple days, and was ok. Doc said that was the wrong thing to do.... But... I then had to get my Rx filled through a certain company for insurance reasons, and it was synthroid, I felt a lot better on it and didn't seem to notice those symptoms as much.

I then had to have my blood tested again, and they had to increase my dose. So just to quickly go and get my Rx, I went to Wal-Mart and filled it. I noticed the very same symptoms as before (racing heart, jittery, shaky, dizzy, just "weird" feeling). And, I noticed that on the bottle it said levothyroxine again....

So I am not sure what the difference is between them or if there is... but I have noticed differences between the two. THe docs say that I should not notice these changes so fast because it takes awhile to get in your system, but I really believe that I do.

That is interesting. My doc said the same thing. That it would be slow acting and you would not notice any symptoms so quickly. Regardless, if you feel better on synthroid seems like the doc should be willing to prescribe it for you.

The thing that is so confusing for us is that POTS symptoms mimic hyperthyroidism to some extent. So it is hard to know what is going on sometimes,

I think sometimes we have to make our own decisions-the doc just dont always get it. The nurse said "You need to take the full dose" and I thought there is no freaking way I will do that! My endo prescribed me armour 30mg, but I am starting around 10-15mg for awhile without telling him, thats just how I know it needs to be done. I am sure they would say, 30mg is a small dose, but not for me!

While it has only been two days, I don't have nausea like I did on Levoxyl and hopefully my joints will be happier and not ache!

Anyone get odd dreams while starting thyroid meds? I have been sleeping good, but don't know if it is because I am exhausted.