So If I Have High Norepinephrine...why Am I Soooo Tired??

brethor9

Hi

So here is a dumb question I am hoping someone can answer? It has been determined that I have very high levels of NE baseline and standing so why am I suffering from so much bone crushing fatigue all the time??? some weeks I can barely get off the couch!! Now I am supposed to start a beta blocker but worry that on the weeks I am crashing with fatigue I am barely going to be able to move

Can anyone explain the workings of NE....its waaay over my head !!

Thanks

Bren

I can't give a technical explanation, but my thought is that all this adrenaline like action is just exhausting to the body. I think I read somewhere it's like we're constantly running in place (or the body perceives it this way). I wake up exhausted every morning, but feeling very racy at the same time. So it feels like I was up all night, but drank 10 cups of coffee - if that makes sense. As the day wears on, the racy feeling goes away and it's just the bone crushing fatigue that's left. I also think many of us just have very poor quality sleep.

Hi Bren,

I read somewhere in my quest for POTS information that they estimate that we POTSies use 3x the amount of energy standing up than a normal person does...just to stand up! :o So I asked my cardio if that's what all the fatigue is from and she said that it is. She said the fatigue is the direct result of our bodies basically being in overdrive all the time and that we just use so much more energy doing basic functions (like taking a shower because our hearts beat so many more times than a normal persons) that we are simply exhausted by the time we get finished.

We didn't talk about the NE but I have to think that it is a similar phenomenon to having an elevated HR all the time. In a normal person, if they have an "adrenaline rush" they would crash afterward and have to rest or eat or drink caffeine to get back together. So it seems like hyperPOTS is the double-whammie for setting us up for fatigue. :blink:

I think its hard to help people understand how you can feel all wired up and totally exhausted at the same time?!