DINET emergency phone list

Guest Mary from OH

Guest Mary from OH

I think that EarthMother is on to something. I think we SHOULD have an emergency phone list (voluntary, of course) and only available to members. We could list our name (however we wanted it listed) a phone number and the hours we were willing to be contacted and the time zone we were in. Sometimes it is helpful to hear someone on the other end when you're too exhauste to type...

Is this a plausible thing or not?

What does anyone think?

Moderators?

I know with privacy and the internet and all we need to be careful, but we also do need support. Is there a way that we can accomplish both?

Maybe I'm getting out of my POTShole a little? If my insurance won't pay for a psych I can afford, I'll create my own!! :P

I'll have to chat with Michelle about your ideas. Personally, I think posting member's phone info online wouldn't be a good idea--while there are many, many good people out there, there are people who wouldn't use the information for the intended purpose.

Perhaps this could be an extension of the meet others program? Currently, that program links people via email.

Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Nina-

I know, that was my "gut" reaction. But, the Meet Others program just seems to "stall". I tried to "meet others" in my area and people initially kind of responded to my email and that was about it. I've never seen ANY of them post and when you even asked for anyone in my area to help when I was having problems NO ONE responded. That's why I think some kind of "telephone emegency contact" could be beneficial to many people. Just not sure HOW it could work....

Hi,

I would not feel confortable with the idea of people calling me for support (I know it's been mentioned volunteers only). I have been a therapist for more than 10 years and I did not want my clients to call me other than to take or change the appointment. I needed some time to recuperate and since I was a workaholic I did not have much time available. When I started my career I was very open and generous with my time but the more I gave the more my clients wanted and I had to put my limits because I was getting burned out.

So now that I have very limited energy, I have to be careful at how I manage it.

When I answer on Dinet, I do so when I feel "well" enough to write and when I feel like I have something positive to say. I can assure you I don't have many productive hours during the day.

Another thing that worries me is that when we are in a Potswhole we do get really depressed or sad. I know how personally involved I get when someone lose hope to live and I don't want to take on this responsibility. I think that when we have reached that point we have to consult with a professional who is strong and healthy enough to help us through. Many of us are severily sick and disabled and that would be too much a responsibility to handle.

Also, it takes some kind of training to give support, especially when we are in Potswhole and need help. Even if we are willing to help others there are times that training is essential.

That's my opinion.

Ernie

Ernie, I didn't say it above, but I have similar feelings to yours. I used to be required to use my home phone for work--my job wouldn't pay for a separate line. I used to get call at all hours of the day and night and I found that I couldn't seem to get out of work-mode in my own home. It's one of the reasons I left that job... and for YEARS people still called for business at my home. I finally changed our home number, made it unpublished and caller-id blocked. I've never been much of a phone person, in general. My job is so emotionally draining, I have come to cherish my quiet hours at home.

Nina

I know this might sound like a good idea at first, but it is not something I can support. We have set the Meet Others Program up to be an anonymous program where people don't have to use their real names. We do that to protect you. Just like in any aspect of life, if you put hundreds of people in a room, there is bound to be one or more that aren't trustworthy....people you would never want to give your phone number to. I know most of you are great, supportive and trustworthy....that goodness prompted this post in the first place. However, I feel a responsibility in making sure DINET members are safe, and I strongly discourage all members from taking part in any phone number list.

Michelle