Parathyroid?

misstraci

Sorry...I have mild hyperparathyroidism (high-normal PTH with high-normal serum Calcium levels). After "exploratory" (full-neck) and a minimally-invasive (small incision) surgeries...multiple surgeons have deemed my parathyroid's "normal". So, my endocrinologist is assuming that my hyperparathyroidism is being caused by my body getting rid of too much calcium (renal leak) or GI tract absorbing too much (hyperabsorption).

Incidentally...I take Sensipar daily...which normalizes my PTH and calcium.

Oh man, I'm sorry, I hope you get to feeling better!

He did some blood work and an ultrasound which he said looked mostly normal. Said nothing was obviously super enlarged looking but that doesn't mean anything so the blood will confirm whether or not somehting is going on. I'm glad I went even if just to rule out one more thing and actually meet a NICE DR for a change :)

So are you going to get the results Monday? Please let me know. The results.

Did you yell Dr. parikh about your POTS? When. I mentioned it to him, he had no idea what it was. Told him there were no md's i.n GA for this and he said "what about Emory"? Told him....nope, no one there either. He looked at me like i am nuts.

I hope your labs reflect what is going on with your parathyroid. Dr Parikh is strictly a "lab/numbers" guy , but a great surgeon. Make sure you read and possibly print that website I emailed you about

Liz

Hey Liz.

I'm not going to go up there to his office but just calling to talk on the phone about the results. I'll definitely be letting you know what I find out. And yes and no, I told him about me having dysautonomia but I didn't say POTS specifically, he was like "oh", and then continued talking, i didn't push the subject because I could tell he either didn't know or wasn't interested. I can't believe Emory doesn't have an autonomic center of some kind, they are top dawg, they need something like that, right?! And I need to go back and refer to the link, thanks again.

Traci

I can't believe Emory doesn't have an autonomic center of some kind, they are top dawg, they need something like that, right?!

No kidding. I had my yearly visit with Dr. Lawrence Phillips...chief of the Endocrinology Dept. at the Emory Clinic. Brought him up to speed on my autonomic stuff...and he didn't appear to take it very seriously. I mentioned my consult with Dr. Watkins in Birmingham...and he didn't sound too impressed with his findings of MVP, Dysautonomia, etc. Ugh.