Higher Serum Nitric Oxide In Celiac Patients

sue1234

Still finding alot of celiac stuff related to our POTS stuff.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16145340?dopt=Abstract

If we have higher serum NO levels, what does that mean for our blood pressure?? I was also reading that celiac people have higher NO at the gut level, too. That made me wonder if that could cause pronounced vasodilation in the splanchnic bed, which I know I have to have, and many of you have.

Hi Sue,

This site has all the relevant studies on celiac and gluten sensitivity. Cara started it several years ago and keeps up with most if not all Pubmed articles.

http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/

As you can tell there are sooo many symptoms associated with celiac or gluten intolerance that eliminating gluten from our diets should be a no brainer. Tests won't always show if someone is really reacting to gluten so totally eliminating it for at least a year, IMHO, would be the only way to see if it helps. This means no processed GF foods since we don't have any standards for GF in the US yet.

Having said that, I've been 99.9% gluten free since 2005 and it hasn't helped my POTS or OI. I suspect that my digestive tract is too damaged from years of eating gluten though. I know I don't digest meats well which means my body doesn't have access to the amino acids it needs. I'm currently experimenting with more of these ...

Recently, the FDA published this on celiac disease. This was on 3 ..

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/ScienceResearch/ResearchAr...264152.pdf

CD is a permanent hypersensitivity reaction triggered by ingestion of wheat, barley, or rye2, or the plant storage proteins of these grains (Farrell and Kelly, 2002; Green and Jabri, 2003; Dickson et al., 2006) that can occur at any age (Marsh, 1992; AGA, 2001; Fasano and Catassi, 2001).

It results in an immune-mediated enteropathy which is associated with damage to the lining of the small intestine (AGA, 2001; Fasano and Catassi, 2001; Dickson et al., 2006).

The mucosal lesion in the small intestine that is characteristic of CD typically involves abnormal morphology such as inflammatory cell

infiltrate in the lamina propria, influx of lymphocytes in the epithelium, flattened or irregular epithelial cells, hyperplasia of crypts, stunted and disorganized microvilli and ultimately, a significant degree of villous atrophy (Marsh, 1992; AGA, 2001; Fasano and Catassi, 2001; Farrell and Kelly, 2002; Green and Jabri, 2003; Dickson et al., 2006).

The most significant histological abnormalities are usually found in the proximal small intestine (e.g., duodenum) with the abnormalities less severe distally along the small intestine, but the disorder can progress distally (e.g., jejunum), and even involve the entire small intestine in some individuals (MacDonald et al., 1964; Dickson et al., 2006;

Murray et al., 2008 ).

Good job researching .... tc ... d

That's a good source of info that your friend has.

The 3 links I posted this morning all have reactions from celiac patients that have some of our odd POTS symptoms, like cold-induced urticaria and a mast-cell-like angioedema reaction. And, of course, this nitric oxide article. I understand about the affect of gluten on the intestine.

Hi Sue,

I was trying to point you to the info on neurological complications of gluten on the gluten file. I was thinking about this but it didn't come out in my typing .. lol ...

http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/theneurologicalmanifestationsofgluten

hth ... D

BTW. I didn't mean to make it sound like certain neurological symptoms, and possibly dysautonomia, weren't connected to gluten or celiac disease. When I first started going to my celiac support group and was telling them about my symptoms, I had several people telling me that they'd had those symptoms too but that eliminating gluten had eliminated them. I remember hearing that ataxia and fatigue were common.

Even now, 4 - 5 years later, when I go to the meetings, most of these celiacs relate symptoms other than GI complaints to being cross contaminated with gluten. It's funny ... Our support group leader always talks about how he gets in these moods where he thinks he's fine but his wife can't stand him. And from what he says, it's always been from being cross contaminated ... Once he finds the source of his cross contamination, according to his wife, he's bearable again ... B) He's been diagnosed for at least 20 years so he's got this now.

There's no telling how often this happens, because from what I've seen most people don't become the experts we are at identifying our symptoms. Especially the symptoms that simply disappear.

It would be easy to confuse mild dysautonomia with fatigue because laying down and resting helps. In fact, I actually thought my legs were too fatigued to walk and didn't realize it was ataxia till it went away. :blink: I started googling why my walking problems disappeared and found the word ataxia and failed Rhomberg ... duh !! I wonder if my doc who performed this test on me had ataxia in my medical records ...

tc ... d