Midrodine And Hyper Pots

kayjay

I have hyper pots. I tend to have high blood pressure but it will drop. I have passed out a few times this summer. Greying out is a problem I have had for a long time. My doctor just suggested I try Midrodine. Has anyone with Hyper pots - tendency for high bp had positive results? Thank you!

I am just starting to try midodrine.

I already take clonidine, and my Dr wants me to increase it and add midodrine.

Finally found a dr that totally understands the sensitivity to medications the hyper pots people have. It seems we depend on the sympathetic nervous sytem to maintain blood pressure, but the paradox is that it also drives the episodes of hypertension, so finding the right combo of medication is difficult.

In my case, and we all are different, even the hyper-pots people, the suggestion was to try to lower the sympathetic tone with clonidine to prevent the hypertension, but if blood pressure goes to low (which in my case it does with any blood pressure meds), I could bring it back up with a small amount of midodrine.

Makes sense to me. I am two days in on trying this. So far, just had a few headaches(which is common for me).

When your regulators are broke it is difficult. :)

Yes, I'm using midodrine but I try to take it only when my systolic BP is under 120 (that's the top number), which is what I was advised by the doctor who prescribed it for me. I'd ask your doctor what BP they are comfortable with in order for you to take the midodrine.

Also, I play with the dose. Sometimes I need the full 10mg, but this morning I only took 2.5mg because I needed something to help my symptoms before my dose of desmopressin kicked in.

I do find that I need to keep an eye on my BP. Sometimes when I feel that my midodrine has worn off, my BP will still be high (150's/90's) but I still have that aching POTSy fatigue! So I have to hold off on the midodrine at those times and just try to rest.

Midodrine is a blessing because it helps me be more active in the heat, if we are at a social event, any time when I need to be more functional than usual. I try to take it just before I need to be functional and know that I'll have 3-4 hours of feeling better before I'll need to check my BP and see if I can take another dose or if my BP's too high.

• 2 weeks later...

In Hyper POTS there can be reductions in cerebral blood flow while peripheral measurements of blood pressure are quite large. So blood pressure measurements may not be demonstrating much in POTS since there can be inappropriate vasoconstriction and dilation at different areas of the vascular system.

If you suffer from dizziness then you have reduced blood flow to the brain or poor cerebral autoregulation. Midodrine may help this.