Brand Name Vs. Generic

jenwic

I have noticed that I can take some meds better if they are generic and some better if they are brand name. It must be the inactive ingredients. I am suspected of having MCAD, so this might be the reason.

Claritin bothers me, but the Walmart brand of loratadine doesn't. Today I tried Zantac (brand name) and I am wheezier than usual (I have asthma) with drainage down my throat and a tight feeling in my throat. I was pretty tachy this morning, but I am better this evening.

I think I will try the generic Zantac next. Hope it doesn't bother me!

Hi Jenwic,

It goes for generic brands too with different bio-availability. I was taking the Mylan brand of Midodrine and was switched to the Global brand of Midodrine and boy did I see the difference between the two Generic brands. The Mylan was stronger. I actually had to up the dose of the Global brand temporalily until I was put back on the Mylan brand. So even Generic brands vary between each other. Find and keep what works best for you.

:)Good luck

Midodrine is the only drug that I have noticed a difference with between brands. Mwise, that is interesting that you have to be on the Mylan brand of midodrine. I'm the exact opposite. Mylan hardly helps me at all. Global works better for me than any other brand of midodrine that I've tried.

Rachel

I dont know if it is psychological or not but I have taken klonopin .5 for over 10 years. It was always the generic yellow pill. The last refill I got was a peach pill. I called and they said it was a new brand and it was correct .5. I felt like it did not work as fast during a bad surge. I went to different pharmacy and got a my next refill in my familiar yellow pill.

I always ask the pharmacist if the pills they are given me are pure tabs and can be spilt since I usually take small doses because of sensitivty. There have been several genrics and name brands that one was a pure tab and the other one was not.

I think the drugs I would be most leary of are extended release. The genrics have to have the same ingredients but doesn't mean they are made the same.