Weighing Up Claims

This document was published in 2008. It looks like it could be useful to dysautonomia patients.

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/resources.php/11/ive-got-nothing-to-lose-by-trying-it

Here is the intro:

"The last ten years has seen a rise in use of the internet and patient chat-rooms and forums for people with chronic diseases. These offer valuable support, but have also brought masses of advertising, surreptitious promotion and misleading stories. Today patient charities, doctors and scientists are warning people with long-term incurable conditions about the emotional and financial costs of over-hyped treatment claims that sell false hope...

The guide, published by Sense About Science with the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Motor Neurone Disease Association, Alzheimer’s Society and Parkinson’s Disease Society, explains how to tell the beneficial from the bogus in the face of the miracle cure stories, new wonder-drugs and breakthrough therapies that are increasingly promoted."

Thanks for sharing, Katherine. That's a good document.

If I tried every "miracle cure" that I have been told about then I would never have time to try proven treatments. It seems that several times every year well-meaning friends or acquaintances tell me about a doctor who can cure anything, "magic mushrooms" from South America, or special drops that cure disease, just to name a few. There is so much bogus stuff out there, and we have to be careful to discern what is wise and potentially helpful treatment.

Rachel

Interesting article. I was reading it on my tablet and lost the last few pages.

I also noticed that this website originated in London. That's where ME/CFS is considered a mental illness not a physical one. You can see this info on the phoenix rising forum ...

On the web, there are countless stories of those who've been diagnosed with "x" only to find out that giving up toxins, addressing nutritional deficiencies, etc has eliminated their "x" ... These stories were spread word of mouth until the internet made it possible for the masses to talk to one another. I'm sure that's been quite heartbreaking to those who count on our ignorance to take advantage of us ... :ph34r:

I first ran into the idea of healing ourselves and avoiding doctors back in the 70's but I was too dense to understand it. NOW I get it though ... although it may be too late since I ignored all those warnings.

Sadly those of us with chronic illnesses, such as POTS or ME/CFS, are prey for any type of vulture .. whether they're wearing a white coat or not ... Actually any illness where the actual source is unknown will attract vultures selling just about anything.

This article was written back in 2008 and from watching the progress in the gluten free community for the last 6 years, I'd say it was on target with what other medical professionals were thinking at that time. NOW thankfully more and more doctors have learned that gluten can be the source of many medical problems ... this can be seen on theglutenfile ..

I can't thank those who've helped me learn the truth enough ... tc ... d