Well This Is Crazy!

I've always had low blood pressure (like in the low 90s over 50s range). For the past 2 months I have been taking 5 mg Bystolic for my POTS. Well, today I felt nauseated and started getting a headache. I assumed my BP had dropped causing the symptoms. I took it and my BP was 150/103 with a HR of 64. In the past it's barely ever been over 100 systolically, so I don't know what's going on!

I've taken it every 15 minutes:

5:30 132/80 59

5:45 124/83 57

6:00 135/81 66

6:15 122/77 64

6:30 150/103 64

6:45 140/76 63

7:00 114/82 67

7:15 133/82 63

Any ideas of what could change such a drastic change in my BP?

Definitely agree that you should check in w a doctor as that is a dramatic change. However just want to add that bp is variable even for normal people and typically rises if one is sick, in pain, etc. So it could be that having pain increased your bp rather than vice versa. That is why just one or a few readings is not meaningful. It would be good to keep measurements over a few days as that would be helpful to your doctor.

Thanks for the replies! I am really baffled. My BP has always run very low, as in 80/60, 78/54, etc. I was started on Florinef years ago with the hope of getting the top number up to 110, which never happened.

The only thing that has changed lately is my cardiologist had me had 1/2 Florinef at night and 5 mg of Bystolic.

I had "spell" yesterday that I assumed was sitting up too long and my BP dropping (it felt like orthostatic hyptention) so I was SHOCKED my BP was taken and it was high! I don't recall my BP ever being over 120 ever!

I didn't take Florinef last night and I just knew :rolleyes: everything would be back to "normal" today, but when I woke up and took it, it was 141/83 82 HR before any meds.

The Bystolic sure has gotten my heart rate down, but doesn't it usually cause your BP to be lower also?

Thanks so much for any input!!