Flashbacks

lieze

Do any of you get blips in memory of POTS like similar incidents or symptoms pre full blown POTS? My life has been a whirlwind with having 4 kids in 7 years so I was either pregnant, with an infant recovering from pregnancy and nursing for 10 years straight along with the sleep deprivation that comes with it so I was just going nonstop and in and out of exhaustion for years-working too. I thought my body could just go forever.

Well I remember my last pregnancy I think it was in the mornings I was up at 5 for work and would get ready and then have to load my 1 year old? Daughter into the car into her carseat. I remember how hard it was to get them buckled in at times especially over a bulging belly how I'd strain with all my might to do that... Then I'd get in the driver's seat and I was having mini episodes!!! I was getting palps, slight shortness of breath and lightheadedness from that morning routine. I went on from there and was okay....

I told my husband hoping for help and his solution was that I get up 15 minutes earlier so I had time to have my episode before I started driving....his response just irritated me.

I wanted help loading her. But I just remembered that just now....5 years later...2 years after my POTS started.

Do you have flashbacks and what are they like?

I was just thinking about this yesterday. My worst symptom is exhaustion. I was thinking back pre POTS and remembered the same type of exhaustion for several years pre POTS. The major difference was that the exhaustion pre POTS relented with a good night's sleep and now it does not.

My POTS started 5 years ago, but I can think back to when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my last child(19 years ago). I had a day where I went into the store with my other two small kids, and I had a wave of lightheadedness. I was out of my town, so I went to a friends home to just sit for a while. When I felt better, I made the 30 minute drive home. I called the obstetrician to tell him my issue, and he had me go to the hospital labor/delivery. They drew blood, he got the results and told me I was anemic and to double up on my iron supplements.

So, then I went 15 years with never another lightheaded episode--until 5 years ago with POTS. It was the same exact feeling, and that's why I wonder IF it could be a form of anemia that is not showing up due to the low blood volume or similar something.

Leize, I would assume you have definitely been thoroughly checked for anemia with having all the babies back-to-back? That sure could be draining on your body.

I did get severely anemic that last pregnancy but my problem was taking the prenatals seemed to slow down my digestion so badly that I wouldn't go to the bathroom for days...and I felt all backed up and uncomfortable like I couldn't eat-so I ditched the prenatals and ate and got somewhat of a normal digestive system back but then my iron level plummeted.

My concern now is the heavy periods I have and they come very often like every 3 weeks. At times when I stand up I just pour out and it's scary to see all that especially knowing my anemia history.

My last HGB was good! Yes still anemic but I was just under normal range.

I'd like to find an iron tablet that's safe for me corn free sulfite free and take one maybe once or twice a week just to give myself a boost.

I eat red meat daily.

I found a way also to slow things down at my monthly for anyone else with that problem for some reason getting in a bathtub with warm water slows things down. I don't understand the physics of it and maybe it only makes me psychologically feel better I don't know but it seems to work. Just learned that trick about a month ago.

I have had chronic fatigue for years. Now my ferritin is 8, but my hematocrit is normal so they won't transfuse iron. I feel like crap with the fatigue. In January my ferritin was low and my doctor infused iron then, I felt much better. He is out with illness and I'm having trouble finding someone to infuse. I should also mention I don't absorb iron by mouth.