Pots And Cholesterol

I saw my endo yesterday and he mentioned (again) my lousy HDL cholesterol. I'm below 200 total, but my HDL is only 33. After surfing the web, some words kept popping out at me: Angiotensin II, Aldosterone and HDL cholesterol.

Basically, if I am reading this right, Angiotensin II causes the body to scavenge only HDL cholesterol--> so that the blood vessels increase in thickness--> and most people develop hypertension (Aldosterone)--> and unstable plaques--> and become stroke/heart attack candidates. :unsure:

If Hyper/Low-flow POTS has excessively high Angiotensin II levels, then my HDL cholesterol would be lowered, regardless of diet or exercise. But my BP would only be high when upright, since the renin/aldosterone system is wonky. :huh: (?)

I'm still attempting to wrap my head around this one, so any input is appreciated.

What are your cholesterol numbers like? Is it any different with the types of POTS?

I have HyperPOTS: LDL-122mg/dL HDL-33mg/dL triglycerides-74mg/dL

It would also be a very easy indicator of POTS type if this theory holds.

If the docs get too concerned, I am wondering if I should try an ANG II blocker instead of a statin. I've tried Niacin and have awful reactions, plus it didn't do anything to my cholesterol.

Hiya,

I can only give you what my cholesterol is in the UK so I don't know what the USA equivalent is.

My cholesterol is 6 (good in the UK is 5 and below). In 2007 it was 7.

My GP at the time hasn't been concerned with either figures as I am low on the bad cholesterol and high on the good cholesterol.

Rach