Sleep Study?

yuliya

I had a sleep study done. It's difficult to fall asleep with all of the wires but I did eventually fall asleep. I woke up twice during the night but I usually do that anyway. At the hospital where I had my sleep study the only thing that they are able to determine is if you have sleep apnea (I don't) and if you have restless leg syndrome (I do). I didn't find it particularly helpful. Perhaps it is done differently in other facilities. I would ask them what they are able to determine as a result of a sleep study.

Lynne

I had mine done at sleep clinic, it was a great place, sound proof rooms nice beds. All the wires are a bit of a pain, but I'm so exhausted by the end of the day when I lay down I pass out. What they found was that I have alpha/delta sleep disruption, also called alpha wave intrusion. 16 times an hour I get knocked out of delta wave sleep back into alpha wave sleep and don't get enough REM or restoritive sleep. If you're thinking about a sleep study shop around, I've of places where beds are just a screen apart and some with apnea can snore the curtins off the windows making it hard for everyone else to sleep. Good luck and I hope you get some answers.

Todd-

As a result of the info that they were able to determine from the sleep study what were they able to do to help the problem?

Mine had a nice environment too, but no help with my sleep problem. They said I had insomnia which I already knew.

Yes I am also interested to know if you are on any treatment for your sleep disorder Todd. I have been on ambien for about 6 month but it's not working that good anymore. The doctor gave me a script for lunesta but the insurance won't cover it and it cost like $275.00 a month so that is not an option.

I wish I could tell you they gave me X and it worked, but I've tried a few different meds, Ambien, Lunesta, Rozerem, Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, Gabapentin........none have changed the sleep disorder. Also bunches of over the counter meds and vitamins. Many of these drugs not only didn't help, they made me feel worse. :o Wish I had some answers for you, but I'm right there with ya on this crappy sleep thang........ :D

I wish I could tell you they gave me X and it worked, but I've tried a few different meds, Ambien, Lunesta, Rozerem, Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, Gabapentin........none have changed the sleep disorder. Also bunches of over the counter meds and vitamins. Many of these drugs not only didn't help, they made me feel worse. :o Wish I had some answers for you, but I'm right there with ya on this crappy sleep thang........ :D

Lol well that's good to know. Has here been any teatments that you have found useful. You seem to know a lot more about your condition then most on here, hopefully my doctors will turn out to be as helpful as yours.

Hiya... well i am similar to todd. i am in bed now so won't pull out the results, but also something like alpha, beta, delta bursts. no stage 4 deep sleep, all disrupted even on my sleep med, which at the time was 50mg trazadone. after 30 yrs of not sleeping, that was my magic pill. saved my life. i take 150mg trazodone now. plus lunesta.... 3mg but i cut them in half, and trying to get off them completely. i had a nice study done too in sleep lab. if you have trouble sleeping, it will be a bad night for sure. but you will get useful info if they find something. i also have the sleep delay phase thingy, so i sleep late in never get out of bed in the mornings. :) thats just the way i roll ;) and not changing a thing! just make sure an actual sleep doc is overseeing and reading the results! i was in nyc, did it at the sleep lab at columbia presbyterian, upper west side. btw, trazodone is a secret little pill that a glorious gp let me onto back then... the canadian pharm ones don't work tho. you may have to try a couple to see which one works. good luck!