Do You Know What This Means?

My MRI report said the following:

"Mild increased signal in the scattered sulci bilaterally on FLAIR sequences, likely representing artifact."

I was told everything came back normal and that's great but I was just curious what this statement meant. Whatever it is is "mild" but I can't figure out what it's talking about.

Thanks

"likely representing artifact"

Oh I hate when this happens. And it's happened to me several times. Because then you wonder -- well, was it artifact or not?? And what do you (radiologist person) mean "likely" - you mean you're not sure? What if it wasn't artifact and they're missing something? These are the thoughts that go through my mind. I guess we just have to trust in their years of experience. If you want to know more though.... I'd ask your Dr.

I guess we just have to trust in their years of experience.

Does anyone have this idea of what must be their experience?:

Oh yeah, people die. I've had patients die. Some of them were young. You cry the first few times. Usually, you can't catch it. You know, a result comes back abnormal but they look totally healthy. And yes, they decline when the lab result is bad and you don't treat it but that's probably not because of the result but rather because they get older. Or a psych thing makes the result abnormal. You really never know. The tests are just part of the job. Something to do. Most of the time, you shouldn't treat on the basis of an abnormal result. Just give the usual meds. If a patient complains about the usual meds, it's psych so you can just refer the patient.

On another related note, that looks like a standard formulation, and like some kind of equivocal result that in fact, they don't like to treat but just note. It appears in similar form, in this:

http://braindiseases.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/mri-white-matter-lesions-does-it-represent-ms/

But you know, the people who get these MRIs must have been complaining a lot to even have the test so you've got to wonder why they don't retest or treat for this finding.

You've got me thinking about a brain MRI I had back in December. Everything was normal but it indicated some ischemic changes probably age related. Now I'm thinking what if they weren't age related and what if they have some bearing on my current condition? I'm not even sure who I would ask since the neurologists I have seen weren't very good.