Celiac Is A Big Suspect Again

sue1234

The other day Dana linked something back to an explanation of celiac tests. Even though Ive been reading a lot on celiac disease for a couple of years now, I just REALLY noticed something in this article that made me think:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/57/1/Interpretation-of-Celiac-Disease-Blood-Test-Results/Page1.html

First, I noticed that it said that antibodies attack the endomysium. If you read up on it, endomysium is part of the protective lining of muscles and other tissues.

http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/martinidemo/chapter10/medialib/CH10/html/ch10_3_1.html

You see that collagen and endomysium are entertwined, and a part of each other. The gluten antibodies attacking the endomysium sure sounds suspicious to me. It sounds like it could be connected to collagen disorders, and of course, fibromyalgia.

To give me a further aha! moment, I looked up specifically 'anti-gliadin antibodies'. On Wikipedia, it is very interesting. Look on the right side in the table, and read down it. It talks about the three different gliadin antigens and what body parts/organs they affect. On the third one, it says it affects MAST CELLS! I of course knew it affected the small intestine and the skin, but was shocked to see this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gliadin_antibodies

I have had my celiac testing done a year and a half ago. Everything was normal, including the biopsy, except the deaminated gliadin IgA. My level was a 45 (0-10). I was told I did NOT have celiac. I really have more questions now after reading how all this affects the body. I have a gi appt. next week, so will have some questions to ask, and hopefully get some answers. Also, look at the chart that explains how long it takes to get the antibodies down to a level that doesnt produce symptoms----a long time!!

I forgot to add in my first post that in the Wiki chart, it shows that besides antibodies affecting the small intestine and skin, that they also affect the VASCULAR system. That really caught my interest, as did the whole thing.

Here is a link I found from PubMed regarding the gliadin and the release of mast cells and histamine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2589401

And, this is the Wiki description of the extracellular matrix that the gliadin antibodies target:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracellular_matrix

Of course, it is involved in collagen and tensile strength to blood vessels. Hmmm, could it be that's why my blood vessels have been vasodilating so much in the last year?? Are my gliadin antibodies attacking the ECM of my vessels, and I'm losing the tensile strength of my vessels(the snap-back ability)?

It makes me think of the IVIG treatment a few have had prescribed, and if someone would have this gluten issue, the IVIG would help to remove the antibodies until the diet has been implemented long enough to lessen them??

very interesting sarah and good job! You guys never cease to amaze me on how intelligent you all are on here. My mother has celiac and chron's .... im beginning to wander if I may have it as well, as one of my many myriad of symptoms is diarrhea from about 7 am till like 3 pm.... i notice it's worse according to things i eat.... or basically everything i eat, no matter if it's clean or not so healthy (like cake... lol). I have yet to discuss this with my doc as this is one symptom that I have not really got into, as i had a few others that were most important in controlling. Now, im thinking i need to address this, but to chicken **** to do so, as i just dont wanna go 'there'.... as it's too humiliating for me. Ugh.... i bookmarked this thread and the other yu posted on the triad of the diseases and the 'elephant' research team.... i'll be keeping a close eye on it.

thanks for sharing! if it wasnt for you intelligent women on here, i'd be far gone by now! Thankful that you guys are here!!!!

tennille

Edited by thankful

very interesting sarah and good job! You guys never cease to amaze me on how intelligent you all are on here. My mother has celiac and chron's .... im beginning to wander if I may have it as well, as one of my many myriad of symptoms is diarrhea from about 7 am till like 3 pm.... i notice it's worse according to things i eat.... or basically everything i eat, no matter if it's clean or not so healthy (like cake... lol). I have yet to discuss this with my doc as this is one symptom that I have not really got into, as i had a few others that were most important in controlling. Now, im thinking i need to address this, but to chicken sh*t to do so, as i just dont wanna go 'there'.... as it's too humiliating for me. Ugh.... i bookmarked this thread and the other yu posted on the triad of the diseases and the 'elephant' research team.... i'll be keeping a close eye on it.

thanks for sharing! if it wasnt for you intelligent women on here, i'd be far gone by now! Thankful that you guys are here!!!!

tennille

Sorry sue1234... i called you sarah! So sorry, but my brain is lacking here the past few months.... my cognitive abilities seem to be kinda deteriorating here lately.... i hate it.... but i meant my post to be to you sue1234!

thanks and so sorry for my mishap!

tennille