Update

Hi friends,

I recently visited my GP (who was not there) and saw a substitute Dr. instead. I told her about how I was dx'd with POTS and how Dr. took me off meds because he said I was all better. She did my BP sitting and standing and found I dropped from 120 to 90, she wanted me to see my cardio again (she knows him) so I headed back to my cardiologist yesterday and he put me on florinef .1 and midodrine, 5mg. The thing is I do not like the midodrine, it really makes me feel like blood vessels will burst in my head (it hurts!!!). So i'd like to not take it. He also said he'd like me to switch from zoloft (currently on 50mg) to something better. I was wondering if anyone has had a good outcome with just florinef and an SSRI or SNRI?

I was feeling really good on florinef before so not too worried about that, but I do need to take some sort of SSRI or SNRI because I have anxiety (the zoloft has helped so, so, much!!)

Any ideas of things I could put out there when i see my Dr. or a psychiatrist?

Thank you!!!

I couldn't tolerate either Florinef or Midodrine, so it may be that Midodrine just might not be the right medication for you. It gave me horrible headaches, too, so after giving it a week, I talked to my doctor and went off of it. I wonder why your doctor wants you off Zoloft if it's helping you? I have taken Paxil for the last 10 years, and I love it, but I could never take more than 15 mg a week. I should be at 20 mg, at least, but just can't handle the side effects. Most of us are so sensitive to drugs - you may want to try the Midodrine but cut your dosage in half for awhile. Please check with your doctor before changing anything...

What did your heart rate do when you stood up? I also have orthostatic hypotension, and my BP will drop from 110/75 and 60 HR (it can't go lower, I have a pacemaker for bradycardia), to when I stand, 75/60 and 130 or so. Sometimes I'll pass out when it's too much of a drop in numbers. Do you faint?

Have a great weekend!

My son tolerates the florinef just fine, but hates the midodrine. He is supposed to take 10mg of midodrine, but we reduced it to 5mg and the side effects aren't near as bad. It makes his scalp 'crawl' and very itchy. Maybe, if you take a lower dose, the side effects won't be as bad.

Christy

Hi 718Mom,

I was unable to tolerate Florinef. I do take Midodrine 5mg 3xday along with Mestinon 60mg 3xday. I take the Midodrine in-between the Mestinon. I spread the Midodrine dosage out 7am-12pm-5pm and adjust the times depending on what I am doing for the day. I feel it peeking with itchy head, goose bumps, skin crawling & urinary frequency about 2-21/2 hours into the dose. The benefits of walking and being able to do things out way the side effects. Prior to taking Midodrine & Mestinon, I was bed, couch & chair bound. Early mornings I am weak upon rising with a low blood pressure-60/40 before I take the Midodrine, Mid mornings & afternoons are my best times on the medications. By the end of day-after 7pm, I am ready to rest. I pretty much hit the couch by 8pm. Like I said, I adjust the Medications if I plan to be out later in the evening. I would suggest taking a lower dose of Midodrine 2.5mg or 1.25mg. They are scorable/able to cut and usually have 1line on them to score/cut in half.

Good Luck :)

Thanks for your replies! Thankfully i do not pass out, at least I haven't in a long time!

When i started Midodrine last year it really helped me, I did have the headaches then but not as bad as now and not as frequent, after about 8 months I started florinef, the two of them together made my BP sky rocket so I lowered the midodrine from 10 to 5mg. It still stayed too high and the headaches were intense.

I really liked the midodrine, not the crawly scalp and the itchy scalp but how nice and cool I felt when the temps were so high last summer, plus I was able to do a lot more.

I have just started the florinef and already I feel a lot better. I will hold off on the midodrine and consider an SSRI or SNRI that has a little BP raising side effect to it :)