Goosebumps And Vasoconstriction?

I'm trying to understand the relationship between goosebumps and vasoconstriction. I tend to be "cold" in the morning...with lot's of goosebumps on my arms and legs. Is this a sign of TOO MUCH vasoconstriction going on? If so, any clue as to why it might be happening? I'm taking Florinef, but I don't believe this to be a side-effect.

Hi

I am not on any meds but still get the goosebumps...or I can be warm and just get patches of them for no reason.

But, what exactly does that represent...inappropriate vasoconstriction in a particular area? I tend to get these more in the morning...so I really wonder if the autonomic nervous is trying to respond to morning hypovolemia via vasoconstriction. Just a theory.

Hmmm...

I tend to get goosebumps in the shower -- specifically if the water is HOT! (Granted I get them when the water is cold too). I never understood why I had the opposite response of normal. Maybe it's because of strange vasoconstriction as a way to counteract the normal vasodilation caused by the heat. Makes it next to impossible to shave my legs though. lol

Sara

Wow, I have had odd goosebumbs as well. It happens to me almost every evening. I will get goose bumps in "patches" or just on one side of my body. Last night for some reason I was getting goose bumps up and down my right leg only. I have been wondering for a long time what causes this. Compared to my other symptoms it has never bothered me enough to complain about it but I wonder if it is a clue to what is causeing my pots. Will look into it futher since it seems I am not the only one experiencing this. Thanks for bringing this up.

I don't know. But, for 6 months BEFORE I came down with POTS, I had goosebumps almost continuously. It wouldn't be weird except it was summer weather down here, so around 90F. Then, after POTS hit, I would get an off/on feeling of a bug crawling in my hair. It drove me crazy.

Then after reading around about POTS and learning about it, I read about the drug midodrine. It had the SAME side effects that I was getting without the drug. I think my body was trying to compensate for months, then just crashed. Maybe midodrine would benefit me now.

I have gotten goosebumps very easily for a long time, even before starting midodrine - it got worse as my POTS worsened. Just thinking of something interesting or upsetting, seeing vivid/distressing images, listening to music or reading poetry (anything that evokes a strong emotional response) would lead to goosebumps. I have attributed this to an over-sensitive/over-reactive sympathetic nervous system.

Can anyone explain what this indicates, though? Are goosebumps a general indication of vasoconstriction...the body attempting to push blood back to the core in that particular region?

I do not know but it is interesting and worth looking into. When I get these episodes is get very cold even though the room temp. does not change. This would support the your theory. If you find anything out about this let us know.

The best that I can tell is that goosebumps are a sign of the body trying to preserve heat...closing your pores, which results in "goosebumps" and pilo-erection (hair standing on end). I tend to get them mostly in the morning...on both arms.

Anyone else have dry skin where they tend to get goosebumps more often than not? I do...and I suspect it is due to the body trying to preserve heat/moisture.

I quit sweating(only place is lightly in the underarm area). I am thinking that my body knows it has low blood volume, so it is conserving fluid. That is what happens in heat stroke, anyway, so I am comparing my situation to that. That is why any heat is bad for me, and dangerous. That's why I wish a doctor would address the hypovolemia so maybe I could go back to sweating and tolerate the heat better.

• 2 years later...

Hi I thought I would search for this topic before starting a new one. Found this post from 2011. I have been getting random patches of goosebumps on my left leg only. I don't feel cold at all. THe goosebumps just appear. Is anyone with diagnosed POTS experiencing this and if so, on one side only (?)

Thanks Corina for responding. I'll have to ask the POTS doc about this. I was worried that maybe I was in the early stages of MS, since I read somewhere recently that odd patterns of goosebumps can indicate MS. It is a very odd symptom, but of course odd symptoms seem to be the hallmark POTS :P