Need Stocking Advice!

OK, here's the stocking story. The last Dr. I saw highly recommended the compression stockings. He wrote a prescription for waist high compression stockings. The pharmacy wanted like 130.00 for them - NO. I found a place that fits people for prosthetic devices etc, as well as compression stockings. The insurance covers this 100%. So they measured me last week, ordered the stockings and I went in today to try them on. Are you kidding me? How on earth do you guys wear these things. They were SO tight my heart started racing just struggling to get them on. I tried on the small and the medium because they said my measurements matched either one -- and both were ridiculous. They were pushing in so hard at the ankles and back of the knees. They were also open toe, which seemed really odd.

My question is do I NEED the waste high ones or would the knee highs do the job just as well? They said since the Dr. did specify WAIST HIGH, if I want to change to knee highs, I would need a whole new prescription. They weren't at all tight in the waist - felt like pantyhose, but the leg area - OMG. I left without the stockings because the insurance will only cover them ONCE. Told them I would do some "research" (aka -check with my POTSsy friends) and get back to them. Which ones do you guys use -- waist high or knee high? Do they really help and how so? My plan was to put them on in the morning before getting out of bed, with the hope that the blood wouldn't pool down when I stand up and hopefully I wouldn't get such a high heart rate when getting out of bed. But if try to put these on while still in bed I think just trying to get them on will make my heart go crazy!

I have the waist-high ones, and they are incredibly hard to get on. I have to have help to do it! Mine are also open-toe. I think that's to let some air in so they're not so hot. My doctor recommended those, too. Good luck!

I wear compression stockings daily. They are the only thing that helps. I wear my knee high ones the most, the waist high were so uncomfortable the I found myself not wearing them. I have found the knee high do help but not help as much as waist high however for me it is a good balance between comfort and the need for compression. I also live in TX were it is so hot the waist high stocking would be miserable. I have read that you are not suppose to wear knee high because they can cause adema (I think that is what it is called) around the band. I have never had a problem but be aware of that risk. I also have thigh high and waist high which I will wear on days that I know I will be on my feet alot. Once I found the right sizes for me I ordered them on line. Knee high and thigh high are not as expensive as waist high. There are also different levels of compression. I was perscribed to wear the the medium leven (I think that is 30-40). If you tried on the high compression you might try medium compression. I also like open toed they are more comfortable and I wear holes in the closed toe very quickly. Under Armor also make some compression workout pants that can help as well.

These are 20-30 (whatever that means). Are they the super tight ones?

I just looked and 20-30 is actually the mid level of compression which is about right. I would not call mine super tight but maybe I am just use to them. I have been wearing them a long time. It took some trial and error for me to find what style/size/brand worked best for me. I think the knee highs run about $30.00. Having the right size makes all the difference. I also had to wear them when I was pregnant (PrePots) because of veraicose veins. Talk about uncomfortable 9 months prego. wearing compression stockings. YUCK!!!

My Mayo doc recommended waist high, but my abdominal issues make wearing them too uncomfortable. So I wear thigh-high 30-40mmHg every day, but go up to 40-50mmHg in the warm months. Yes, they are a pain to put on but they have been more effective than any medication or exercise in reducing my symptoms. But I have to wear them every day in order to get benefit. I didn't wear them for a week last summer when I was treating some athlete's foot and gradually felt worse every day. By the end of that week, I could hardly be upright at all.

You can order them with open or closed toe. I prefer closed toe, but the highest compression can only be ordered in open toe (40-50mmHg). Hang in there!

Guest tearose

My main way of treatment is my compression hose!!!

I use the 30-40 mm waist high compression faithfully, daily. It makes life worth living! I feel wonderful after they have been on a bit because I feel how differently my body is responding to the compression. They make me feel stronger, and sometimes like dancing!

There is a learning curve to getting these on. After I shower or bathe in the morning, I dust some powder on my legs. I sit on the floor and scrunch and gently tug them up. I sometimes lay on the floor and lift my legs up over the side of the bed to have gravity help me pull them up! :huh:

My husband has lovingly referred to this ordeal as my "stuffing sausage ritual".

Hey, if it wasn't helping I would not be spending the time, energy or $125/pair on them.

They help me incredibly.

A tip from one with experience:

If you wear compression hose daily, consider the open toe variety. Why? The cold water wash, drip dry regimen of laundering does NOTHING for killing toenail fungus. If you have the open toe variety, at least you have the ability to wash/dry your socks (not the stockings), enough to kill the toenail fungus.

Hi Naomi,

I wear 30-40 compression. I have tried 20-30 but it wasn't strong enough to be helpful for me (although some potsies do find it beneficial). I have tried the waist high, but it was too tight and painful for my tummy. I do have some thigh high compression that I wear, but most often I wear knee high compression (30-40) coupled with Spanx that offer mid-thigh to waist compression.

I used to struggle a lot to get my compression because I was trying to put them on like one would put on regular socks. Then I figured out a trick that makes it easier. I'll try to explain it for you. Start with the compression turned inside out, then turn the foot and heel part "right side out." Slide your foot and heel into the stocking. At this point your foot and heel will be in, but the rest of the leg part will be sticking out past your toes. Take the rest of the stocking and pull it up your leg. You may then need to adjust it a little bit, but for the most part everything should be in place. It is really hard to explain this! I wish I had pictures.

I just did a search online, and I found this webpage that offers some tricks, and it has a vide of a lady putting on her stocking in the way I just described. http://www.eldercareteam.com/public/549.cfm

I hope this helps!

Rachel

One more thing. I find stockings easier to put on than to take off. I often ask my husband to take them off for me at the end of the day as I am too tired and weak to do it myself. I can usually manage taking of old compression that has lost a lot of its strength, but at that point it really needs to be replaced. It is really tough to take off compression that is still truly 30-40 mmHg.

Rachel

Oh wow, Rachel, thanks for the video! I can't believe there is a video about this - lol. :D Very helpful though.

So the score is waist high - 2, knee high - 4. This probably sounds like a silly topic of coversation, but the insurance will only pay once and I can't afford to spend 100.00 on another pair if I get the wrong ones. I need to this work - I have tried Florinef, Midodrine, Mestinon, DDAVP - it all made me feel worse. I am running out of ideas. :(