Orthostatic Hypotension And Heart Failure

Directionality of blood pressure response to standing may determine development of heart failure: prospective cohort study.

Fedorowski A, Hedblad B, Engström G, Melander O.

Eur J Heart Fail. 2011 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print]

Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Malmö, Sweden.

Abstract

AIMS: To study the prospective relationship of blood pressure response during orthostatic challenge with incidence of heart failure (HF).

METHODS AND RESULTS: In a Swedish prospective cohort study (the Malmö Preventive Project), we followed up 32 669 individuals (68.2% men; mean age, 46 years) over a period of 24 years. Incidence of first hospitalization due to new-onset HF was related to early (60-120 s) postural changes in systolic and diastolic blood pressure (ΔSBP and ▵DBP), and mean arterial pressure (ΔMAP), using Cox proportional hazards models. Hazard ratio of incident HF increased across descending quartiles of ΔSBP from the first (and reference) quartile (+8.5 ± 4.9 mmHg), through the second (neutral response), to the third and fourth quartiles (-5.0 ± 0.1 and -13.7 ± 6.1 mmHg, respectively; P for linear trend=0.009). A pronounced hypotensive SBP response (fourth quartile) conferred the highest risk of new-onset HF [hazard ratio (HR), 1.31; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.11-1.53]. A similar pattern was observed with regard to ΔMAP, where the first (and reference) quartile with a marked positive MAP response (+7.7 ± 3.1 mmHg) had the lowest, and the fourth quartile with a hypotensive MAP response (-5.2 ± 3.4 mmHg) had the highest HF risk (HR for fourth vs. first quartile: 1.37; 95% CI, 1.17-1.62). In a continuous model, the risk of incident HF conferred by negative ΔSBP matched that of resting SBP (HR per 10 mmHg difference: 1.17; 95% CI, 1.11-1.23, and 1.17, 1.14-1.20, respectively), whereas MAP drop was the strongest individual predictor of HF development (HR 1.26, 95% CI, 1.21-1.31).

CONCLUSION: Early increase of blood pressure in response to orthostatic challenge signals reduced the risk of HF development.

PMID: 21406482

This doesn't quite fit with those of us dxed or suggested to have heart issues.

I'm having a little trouble understanding this- kinda' technical for me foggy brain :blink: Seems to indicate that an initial increase in BP upon standing (that normalizes) is NOT correlated with heart failure, right? Or have I misunderstood?

Sort of makes sense. The heart is strong enough to compensate for the postural change by kickin' it up a notch momentarily resulting in a higher BP.

If one's heart didn't do that, the authors speculate it is indicative of future heart failure, right? It could indicate a weakness in the heart OR a misfunctioning ANS system...

You're right, Jennifer, this MAY not apply to us :unsure:

I have pretty severe orthostatic hypotension, so my BP drops dramatically when I stand up whereas my HR at least doubles (lying: BP 95/65, HR 60; standing: BP 72/62 and HR 125). I have also been diagnosed with bradycardia (have a pacer) and heart failure in the past, so the study makes sense to me. Some doctors don't believe that if you have a significant BP drop when standing that you have POTS, even if your HR increase by more than 30 beats, whereas others think they can go together. I have all of the symptoms of POTS, but I feel like I'm kind of in limbo....all of the treatments I've had have been your typical POTS ones. I just know that I have autonomic dysfunction, along with a variety of other associated problems like most of us on the site.

Interesting study. Thanks for posting it, firewatcher.

Cheers.