My Non-Pots Doctor Appt. Today

sue1234

I went to an ENT today because of a neck issue I've been having for a couple of years and just needed some reassurance it was nothing bad. I had brought my MRI copies for him to look at if there was anything useful in the pictures. My neuro had had me do a head and neck MRI last year. the neuro had found cervical stenosis and said I don't need to have it addressed surgically--just to watch it and maybe at some point in the future I might need surgery to fix it.

Well, as my first appt. with this ENT, I had to mention my POTS history and that's why I had the MRI images. He looked through them, and then he asked, "Did your neurologist think the cervical stenosis could be causing your orthostatic problem?". I told him that the neuro never really said yes or no.

Maybe I read too much into it, but I swear the way he asked me seemed like he might have been implying that he thought it could be an issue. I doubt doctors like to second-guess another when they are not in the same discipline(such as getting a second opinion), but I feel he was trying to say that HE might have thought it could be related to my POTS issue.

I guess I will send a message to my neuro and point-blank ask if they think the stenosis could be contributing to the POTS.

I have been to many doctors, and my two favorite and caring ones are both not available to be a primary. One was my gyn and then now an ENT.

I know you are having problems with old forum searches so I did this one for you

http://forums.dinet....p=forums&st=125

Cervical stenosis got me back to 2004. I haven't had a chance to read them all but they will probably interest you, especially this one -

http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/1605-connecting-neck-to-the-autonomic-nervous-system/page__p__14072__hl__%2Bcervical+%2Bstenosis__fromsearch__1#entry14072

I am in the middle of exploring the same thing. I have lots of neck issues and wonder if it could be contributing to the POTS. I have been in lots of pain and discomfort for over a week and decided to take another look into this. I found a neuro-surgeon who specializes in the spine and will be making an appointment to see him. He requires the MRI be less than a year old, so I am actually going tonight to get a new cervical spine MRI. I am not confident that he will know anything about the spine/autonomic connection, but I would think if anyone would know -- a neurosurgeon SHOULD. If you ask your neuro that question ...I'd love to hear his response.

I am in the middle of exploring the same thing. I have lots of neck issues and wonder if it could be contributing to the POTS. I have been in lots of pain and discomfort for over a week and decided to take another look into this. I found a neuro-surgeon who specializes in the spine and will be making an appointment to see him. He requires the MRI be less than a year old, so I am actually going tonight to get a new cervical spine MRI. I am not confident that he will know anything about the spine/autonomic connection, but I would think if anyone would know -- a neurosurgeon SHOULD. If you ask your neuro that question ...I'd love to hear his response.

Hope it goes well. Let us know if they find anything.

Reen, thanks for digging up those posts! I really appreciate it. That's what I had been trying to find in our old posts, as I knew plenty of people had neck issues.

Naomi, let me know what you find out and I will post again if I find anything out.

Nunntrio and Leize, thanks.

Hey,

I've kinda keep this is the back of my mind...I had an epidural back in 2001 with the delivery of my 1st child and I was very very ill (don't know if it was dys,or cardiomyopathy) I came home from the hospital with excessive lower swelling weakness and couldn't care for my child for almost 3 months along with that I had a very stiff neck which I couldn't turn it from left to right it lasted 3 months and ever since I had the kinda sore neck can't really bend my head to chest or look completely up without having tightness and pain.

So when I got completely ill 3 years ago I had more neck aching and it has since spread to my mid back spinal area. I did go to my family doc last month and she did an xray and said I had no curve in my neck its straight! Since then I am trying another doc, seems like I have to keep doing that just to get closer and closer to finding my true problems...

Anyway I'm starting to wonder if my neck/back/spine is causing dysautonomia I seen somethings posted with some connections.

I have one possible important clue: my father has a deteriorating spine along with tachycardia he was on a beta-blocker (antenol)sp? and said he felt so much better with the fatigue and chest pains.

SO I guess I'm wondering also if the back sides could be causes the autonomic probs???I'll be soon going to a neuro or orthopedic doc so I'll post if I get some definite answers.

Lissy

Lissy, definitely let us know if you find out anything. I have the opposite of a straight neck--I seem to have too much forward curve. It wasn't like this 7-10 years ago when I was "normal". So, I don't know if it has just slowly curved over the years and made my POTS show up. I have no clue. Like I told the doctor, I have NO pain in my back/neck or limbs, so I wouldn't have the surgery just to fix it. BUT, if I knew it contributed to POTS, I would have the surgery in a second.

I went to an ENT today because of a neck issue I've been having for a couple of years and just needed some reassurance it was nothing bad. I had brought my MRI copies for him to look at if there was anything useful in the pictures. My neuro had had me do a head and neck MRI last year. the neuro had found cervical stenosis and said I don't need to have it addressed surgically--just to watch it and maybe at some point in the future I might need surgery to fix it.

Well, as my first appt. with this ENT, I had to mention my POTS history and that's why I had the MRI images. He looked through them, and then he asked, "Did your neurologist think the cervical stenosis could be causing your orthostatic problem?". I told him that the neuro never really said yes or no.

Maybe I read too much into it, but I swear the way he asked me seemed like he might have been implying that he thought it could be an issue. I doubt doctors like to second-guess another when they are not in the same discipline(such as getting a second opinion), but I feel he was trying to say that HE might have thought it could be related to my POTS issue.

I guess I will send a message to my neuro and point-blank ask if they think the stenosis could be contributing to the POTS.

I have been to many doctors, and my two favorite and caring ones are both not available to be a primary. One was my gyn and then now an ENT.

As you already are - remain focused and vigilant to find truth in this.... & be very wary of any who suggest surgery to decompress your neck. There are theories you can find by googling intermittant cervical cord compression or PC3 - 'positional cervical cord compression' and list it as a co-morbid condition with fibromyalgia and hypermobility and other things - dyasautonomia another I believe. Sometimes you can find you link - maybe copy and paste and send it to your neuro asking if there's an outside chance that your dysautonomia could be linked to the neck issue..... I have some respected doctors telling me my symptoms are from my neck and to have surgery and other respected physicians saying, 'I wouldn't let any one near your neck with a ten foot pole' -- and more doctors on that front than the other - who is just one. It's not fun to have the burden of being your own best advocate by researching and seeing the countries best - or reading their works & trying to come to a decision - it's a temptation to believe your doctor should have all the answers - truth is you have to have a team approach - you and them - both, as your conditions are on the newer end of research and rather rare-ish.......if the docs are worthy of caring for you they will welcome your input - welcome you getting second opinions etc... The symptoms we have stem from different body systems and reasons so the treatment plans can vary widely ... pharmacologic treatments vary widely - as some work in one way - but don't work in another - so finding causation can be really helpful...good luck to you!