Positive Tb Test

Darlene

I just had a tb test done 6 days ago. My dr. says it's positive, and that I have to take meds for several months. I am sure it's not active, because if it was I would have a fever, night sweats, coughing, etc. I am just wondering, could this be the cause of my POTS? And is there a cure for latent tb?

I was exposed to ACTIVE TB 11 years ago. For me, it took at least three tests for the docs to rule it a negative; I was red, but had no wheal. My 3 month old son, however, had to undergo six months of Isoniazide treatments since he was too young to test (a very scary time for a new Mommy!) He turned out to be negative. My doc told me that most healthcare workers will test positive, but that their bodies have developed immunity and "walled off" the virus. You probably need a chest x-ray to see if that has occurred.

The strange thing about TB is that it doesn't always settle in the lungs. It can hit the kidneys, brain or other organs. I have wondered if I really had a negative, or if it just landed someplace else (like my kidneys!)

Watch it closely and report any medications side effects to your doc.

Be well!

Guest tearose

I too have positive TB tests. I was exposed while studying in Eastern Europe while in college.

I came back, took the medicine and will always test positive.

What is it I should be aware of and watch firewatcher?

I was young and don't recall what things if anything I was told to monitor.

I never considered if the exposure to TB had contributed to my POTS/dysautonomia relapses.

I am positive for TB antibodies too! I've been on isoniazid for bout 7 months and I have 2 months left to go!

I drilled the Mayo Clinic doctor pretty intensely about any connection. She was really surprised! But She kept saying that if it were latent somewhere else A. there would be intense scaring in the lungs and B. it wouldn't look like dysautonomia. And also that if it was really affecting me, I'd pretty much be dead by now.

I don't know if that helps... She said she couldn't say for sure that it wouldn't have set off pots, but that she was confident it wouldn't unless I had an active infection.

Can't give blood though :'(

What is it I should be aware of and watch firewatcher?

There are recent strains of TB that are unaffected by the usual treatments. You can go through the treatments and not kill it off. If you EVER show signs of active TB, you should bring it up to your doc.

Most of my cautions were for the medicines though. While good at treating TB, there can be side effects. You absolutely have to treat it, just tell your doc if any weirder things happen than POTS. :(

(I am overly cautious because of my kidneys...I'm not even supposed to take tylenol or aspirin. Every body is different and those "just you" reactions can be signs that you need to watch for. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just make them cautious and aware...like we always are with meds. :) )

Edited by firewatcher

:rolleyes:I would recommend getting a chest xray done to confirm if you have TB. As a previous poster stated and being a health care worker, there are false positives for TB in not only health care workers but people in general d/t being exposed somewhere along their life time. I would hate to see you go through unecessary treatment with a false postive. Good luck and prayn your test was a false positive.