Disability Plates Questions

I had disability plates in my prior state for work, and now that I'm working again I need these. My current PCP filled out all the forms and I submitted them to the state via mail, per the instructions.

Once received, are they usually issued by the state without difficulty? I know he put POTS down and most people have never heard of it, but it does fall under the Heart/Circulatory disorder overall. Does the DMV just look for the Doctor approval and usually grant the plates?

I'm anxious about this as my job starts soon and I need to be able to park reasonably and it's hard enough to do it with the plates, almost impossible without (I can't walk blocks and blocks in the AM as you all know).

Hi Cats,

I don't know how it works with plates, but I just got the handicap sticker/sign with a phyician's prescription stating a diagnosis of Autonomic Neuropathy listed along with asking it be issued for 5 years on it at the DMV with no questions asked. I just filled out & signed the papers they gave me & paid for the sticker/sign. I actually purchased 2 to have in 2 different vehicles so I don't have to move it from my husband's truck to my car. I would think you shouldn't have to much problem since your physician filled out the paperwork. Most physicians have done this before for other patients.

Good luck and will be praying for you:)

I just walked into the DMV with my note and they gave me the tag for the mirror immediately. I didn't ask for a license plate though. I thought there would be a charge for sure but it didn't cost me a thing.

Brye

The DMV site said we had to mail the form for plates (no cost) so I did. I understand it can take two weeks, so I'm still within that time frame. What I am concerned about is are they going to question the illness the Doctor put as it's so unknown (it's not like MS or Lupus)...? I was wondering if he should just put OI but he wanted to put POTS. Maybe I'm being extra paranoid because of so much going on. :huh:

The DMV site said we had to mail the form for plates (no cost) so I did. I understand it can take two weeks, so I'm still within that time frame. What I am concerned about is are they going to question the illness the Doctor put as it's so unknown (it's not like MS or Lupus)...? I was wondering if he should just put OI but he wanted to put POTS. Maybe I'm being extra paranoid because of so much going on. :huh:

The DMV cannot discount what the doctor said in filling out the form. In NY there are specific questions asked on the form (e.g. inability to walk X feet) and the doctor answers those questions and lists the reason/diagnosis.

I would suggest you get a rear mirror placard. In NY you get your doc to sign the form and bring it to your local town hall.