Burning/shooting Leg & Foot Pain With Pins, Needles & Tingling

heathmcev

Hi everyone,

I'm worried about what's going on with the nerves in my left leg, and trying to figure out if it's just yet another POTS symptom or something else entirely.

Last summer I started having a shooting pain on the bottom of my left big toe, which then stopped and turned into numbness & tingling (which continues today). I just tried to ignore it. Then in December the same thing began happening on top of the same foot - shooting pain and burning sensation followed by numbness & tingling. These symptoms continue and the whole area's very sensitive to touch. In the last 2 weeks the shooting pain has extended out into the top of my big toe. I went to a podiatrist this week who said typically it would be a classic compression reaction from a shoe or boot, but he ruled that out following a discussion of my footwear. He also said with dysautonomia, it could be that my body's slow to heal from some sort of trauma I may not remember. He's starting me on PT this week for electrical stimulation.

THEN... just 3 days ago I started having shooting/burning pain on the outside of my left knee which is now sensitive to touch and kills when I kneel. So clearly it's affecting more than just my foot.

Does anyone else experience this? I'm worried it's some sort of neuropathy, but don't fully understand what that means. Who would I see... my POTS neuro? I did have a thermoregulatory sweat test 1 1/2 yrs ago that was normal... but things can change in that time, so I just don't know.

I hate feeling like every little thing could "be something", but I've ignored this for 5 months now and feel like it's only progressing. Thanks!

You might want to have your back checked out. Many back docs look at dermatones which show connection between spinal nerve root and an area of the skin supplied.

It sounds to me, from your description, like there is something going on with L5. You can check the dermatone chart map here. or wikipedia. A description of myotomes and dermatones can be found here.

Hope things settle down and you get the answers you are seeking.

I think Reen's suggestion is excellent. I have small fiber neuropathy which causes generalized burning and itching at times. But I also have large fiber neuropathy which is when the larger nerves eminating from your back start misfiring due to compression or injury. I saw my regular doctor about this and was referred to a physiatrist. However, I wish I would have just gone to my neurologist. If I could do it again, I'd start there.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Reen, that diagram was great! So helpful and it totally made sense. I did get in for a PT evaluation today, and she believes the problem is in my foot not back (oh well - didn't hurt to try!). Trying some basic PT & electrical stim for a few weeks, then if I'm not better she's going to get my Dr to order an MRI & nerve conduction testing for neuropathy. Fingers crossed it all heals up before I have to go that route...

Ask your doctor about Alpha Lipioic Acid. I use Lipoic Acid Supreme daily. It is given to people with nerve problems all the time. Not just for that but it is very effective for nerve health.

I should have added - I am going to ask about this as well... if things don't progress, it's worth a go!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Reen, that diagram was great! So helpful and it totally made sense.

Glad you found it useful. I hope everything settles down and you get relief quickly.

thank you! wow that is a great chart; that explains SO much. I have these symptoms my neurologist said was probably due to peripheral neuropathy and had me set up for an EMG but my ins cancelled so I couldnt do it. New insurance now so when I go back to my primary in March she's going to set one up for me with a new dr.