High Heart Rate

mynagirl

My HR usually goes from 80s to 110's when I stand up but today it was 157 after I was just doing dishes and walking around. It hasn't really spiked that high before (that I've ever measured), other than during actual exercise.

How high does your go? Is there a point when you worry?

Just curious what's "normal" for everyone else.

Thanks!

Marie

I would definitely mention that to your cardiologist and not blow it off. Don't worry or panic over it but it's not normal to get a heart rate that high from doing dishes. Try to sit when you do the dishes and avoid the hot water. Stay hydrated too. I like to check my pulse regularly when resting and with activity so I can know my body and what it's doing. If your heart rate gets high like that and it doesn't stop, you would need to call your doctor or go to the hospital. It's nice to be knowledgeable about counter-maneuvers to use in order to bring your heart rate down. My cardiologist told me to take a deep breath and then strain hard like you are trying to go to the bathroom. Wait a minute and then try again. He also told me I can massage ONE side of my neck where your artery is (NOT BOTH, YOU'LL PASS OUT). Another way is to drink 16 oz. of water rapidly. For me, when mine gets high, resting, drinking, and elevating my feet helps. I avoid putting my arms over my head because that makes my heart rate go up. My physical therapist told me to breathe in through my nose and out through the mouth when doing activity, going up the stairs, etc. and that will help my heart rate to not jump as much.

Are you on a beta blocker? I was on toperol, midodrine, & florinef. I was having random high blood pressure episodes with high heart rate and the florinef was aggravating all of that for me. My cardiologist stopped the florinef so my heart rate has been better. Unmedicated, mine was going up to the 140's and 150's.

Keep us posted

Mine will go up to about 190. I am on a beta blocker. I think the issue more is does it go up and stay up? I know if mine gets too high... I rest. Before I was diagnosed I was in the hospital and just brushing my teeth it would go up in the 170's.

I wear a hr monitor if I am doing something out of the ordinary. A long as it settles back down when you rest i wouldn't worry

I was told to really pay attention to how I feel and not stress about the numbers because... I have POTS :rolleyes: !

It has also gone as low as the 40's. That's weird too!

my heart rate varies: from 40's (supine) to over 200. i am not on any sort of medication

fortunately, the tachy has a rapid onset / offset. heat/ arms overhead trigger my tachy

i try to sit while brushing teeth, washing face etc... this helps a great deal

Thanks you all for the great replies. Very helpful! My HR did go back down, so that seems to be good. I'm not on a beta blocker right now because I'm nursing my new baby, but I'm tracking it for when she's done nursing. I probably should get back to the cardiologist soon...

That's great you are nursing. My baby is 10 months old now and I had to stop nursing when he was 8 1/2 months because of my health. I really miss that time but I needed to do it or else I wouldn't be able to take care of him at all. In fact, I would never have stopped nursing him unless something bad happened....which it did. Enjoy that precious baby and take care of yourself too!

Whew, nursing a baby! That will suck more than the wind out of you! Remember that the milk has to come from somewhere, so it is pulling the fluid from your body. Replenish what you make. Dehydration will skyrocket your HR, as will sleep deprivation. Take care of yourself and drink lots of nutrient rich fluids.

Enjoy your sweet baby. :D

reen, i have an omron measuring bp and hr. you could count heartrate yourself as well of course!

corina :)

Thanks for the reply, Corina. I, too, have an Omron bp/hr machine. It works well enough, I guess. I get a lot of error messages due to rapidly fluctuating rates. I have never caught an extremely low rate on the Omron - I think just moving to get it makes my heart go into low 60s.

I use a Sportline analog watch/HR monitor. I started using that because I couldn't handle the strap all the time with other HR monitor due to the heat in the summer. Also I can sleep in the watch and do a quick check of HR without pulling out the BP machine right before getting out of bed and then upon standing. The 50 rate after waiting a few minutes happens rarely in the night - it just won't register below that. It has registered for me 50 to 145. Whenever I take my BP it matches the Omron and matches within 2 or 3 beats the equipment at my new Y.

I guess I'll accept the limitations especially as I am now going through a period where my heart races in the middle of the night and I will get readings of 110. Can't stand this stuff.

I can go from 60; which is the lowest my HR is allowed to be with my pacemaker/icd to 195 or 200 in a blink...usually it's from exertion of any sort because of my heart problems. At my last ICD interrogation I had NSVT runs every other night with hr's in the 190-200 range along with daily fluctuations in those ranges. Scary because at 220 my ICD shocks me :P

My dr upped my midodrine to 10 mg from 5mg 3x daily and Inderal twice daily to see if this would help. I haven't noticed any difference yet though.