Clonidine Patches Anyone??

sj75

its been suggested by my consultant that i try these and i was wondering if anyone has tried these and if so how they found them??x

Yes, I can honestly say that clonidine patches (Catapres transdermals) have saved my life. I have consistent reduction of norepinephrine instead of ups and done from oral clonidine. For hyperadr. POTs, I can't think of any better approach. At least for me.

First of all you usually need to be taking beta blockers with them. Downsides are: they are very expensive; many folks are allergic to the paste on them - they leave a burn mark on me (and really hurt) unless I put them on the tops of my arms - chest skin is very sensitive.

However, after 13 years of using the patches, my arms are so tough that they do not absorb the clonidine, so I just put them on my chest and let them hurt.

An additional benefit of consistent, large clonidine doses has been a significant reduction in muscle pain in my case. My neurologist believes that what we thought was fibro pain is really complex regional pain syndrome, a pain condition that is triggered by an overactive sympathetic nervous system. The clonidine squashes that reaction in the nerves and the pain (for me).

Once you have had the release from the adrenaline roller coaster with a catapres patch, you will never want to go back, IMHO.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Best wishes,

Elegiamore

• 1 month later...

i wanted to try this medication but my doctor wasnt keen on the idea. I have hyperadrenergic POTS but Im also quite often suffering from cerebral hypoperfusion.

I'm hyper POTS too. There is someone here in my town that is hyper POTS and uses it. It was said that it is making a huge difference for him - especially in his sleep quality. I think I'll look into trying it. Tried everything else, that didn't work. Maybe this one will.

• 1 year later...

My experience with clonidine patch was I became allergic to patch with redness, burning, swelling at the site. It also didn't last the full week and when I went to the pill form my body kept demanding more and more of it to keep the swings from happening, almost an addictive response, getting off of it was very scary. I would never take it again.

Grubb prescribed labetalol instead and I have been fine with it and can easilly reduce it as my symptoms improve.