Guten Free & Food Sensitivity Poll

roxie

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SO, I've been contempltaing mostly the whole gluten free thing because I have always had a lot of stomach problems and beacuase I have read that it helps a lot of you.

My problem is I keep going back and forth as to if it is neccessary and being that I don't have the strength to shop and cook for myself I need my mom. She has reservations also because it takes a lot of planning, costs more money, and affects everyone! So we can't decide and if there isn't strong evidence to it helping why bother?

on the other hand if it helps, it's totally worth it.

So what are your thoughts? What improvements have you seen?

Thanks

I can't vote, but would like to say I'm in the "web" of possible gluten intolerant. I tested positive(4x upper limit!) on the IgA anti-gliadin antibody, which to me sounds very specific for gluten, BUT my endoscopy samples came back fine. The doctors office says I don't have a problem with gluten, but I'd like to ask *** does a 4x upper limit mean!!!!! My body is apparently attacking something related to gluten.

But, I am in the same boat as you. I cannot stand up long enough to prepare meals, and my husband works long hours, so I kind of have to eat food that is picked up in my town. I try and eat the local cafe's home-cooked meals, and I don't eat outright gluten, but I know I still get it in sauces, etc. But, I do definitely feel a little better not eating bread, pasta, etc. I eat gluten-free bread when I have a sandwich.

So, I could note vote in your poll as I haven't gone truly gluten-free yet. I do, however, think it would definitely make a positive impact.

Honestly, I don't think it is really more expensive. I gave up bread, pasta, cookies, cake, and all the stuff I shouldn't be eating anyway a year ago. I lost 31 lbs. so far, and believe me, with NO exercise! I find I eat meats and vegetables most of the time, and some fruits(glucose issues). I have to say I eat less than I used to, but I eat more often. For instance, if I buy a plate of 3 veggies for lunch, I usually eat half for lunch, and the other half for a mid-afternoon snack. I think the percieved high cost of eating gluten-free is when the diet still takes in alot of packaged foods that are gluten-free, which sometimes we need when we can't fix it ourselves. But, it can be done by buying the basics.

I have decided I am not going to go gluten free until I have a test that says I need to! :P I just feel like I've given up so much already with this stupid dysauto that I am not going to give up things that I don't know for sure I am reacting to. My doc wants to do a food intolerance test but it's like $200 so we haven't done it yet. If it comes back saying I need to "go against the grain" then I will do it then! It really makes it hard to cook for your whole family when it's just you that is doing this and I can tell you right now my guys are not going to go gluten free! Hope you make the right decision for YOU!

KC

I don't have celiac but I am gluten intorerent. There is no test for that except a gluten free trial. I feel better off gluten and if I do have a piece of bread my body really tells me.

I really believe that wheat/gluten, corn/corn syrup, sugar, milk and aspertame are all bad. There is plenty of literature to support this. I feel so much better when I don't eat these things.

I don't have Celiac because I did the process of limitation of food groups (You can do this free-Just google it). I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis and Diverticulitis and had a weight loss of 35 lbs and empathize with you. I had a consult with a Dietician who helped with finding the right diet for me a low fat/low fibr diet. Having the right diet, counting calories and Domperidone has eliminated symptoms I was having of bloating, nausea, pain and weakness when I ate. I am even gaining weight and enjoy eating again. The Internet is also a great place to get information on gluten free foods. Hope you feel better soon.

I've been gluten, casein, corn, soy, egg white, grain and chemical free for a couple of years now. I didn't start out this way though. I just found that the foods that I eliminated made me feel bad or caused an allergic reaction.

As in, I don't feel bad at all from casein but my doctor told me that the bold black marks under and around my eyes were my body's way of telling me that casein wasn't good for me ... I was willing to live with the reaction but was told "no" .. :lol:

I have to admit though, it looked pretty bad ... :ph34r:

From reading here and on other message boards, I can see that most people don't understand how this works. I sure wouldn't have understood it if I hadn't experienced it myself ...

Brenda Watson has a special on PBS right now ... She also has clips on youtube ... IMHO, she does a good job of explaining this. I don't work for her and I wouldn't run out and buy her supplements ... but her info looks like a good place to start.

But, there is a ton of info on the web now about food intolerances, especially gluten. Check out the gluten file ... or go to gluten free and beyond to read some stories about how eliminating gluten, etc has changed people's lives.

I know several celiacs and have noticed that many of them can't tell if they've eaten gluten until they get too much. One of them avoids soy more readily than gluten even. One of them gets grouchy ... I get nocturnal myoclonus and insomia from minute amounts but never ate it on purpose again to see what would happen. My docs discouraged me from trying it because it probably gave me gluten ataxia ...

I still have dysautonomia but that doesn't mean you will. Everyone's body is different ... My body had some many things to heal that I'm not surprised that I still have this.

tc ... dizzy

Wow!:o Your friends are lucky if they can't feel it when they eat gluten. I can even tell when I've had cross contamination. I get an instant headache and stomach bloating. That progresses to horrible stomach pain and slowed motility. If I didn't have such severe reactions I probably wouldn't be as nitpicky as I am. I wish I didnt have any reactions. :(

Wow!:o Your friends are lucky if they can't feel it when they eat gluten. I can even tell when I've had cross contamination. I get an instant headache and stomach bloating. That progresses to horrible stomach pain and slowed motility. If I didn't have such severe reactions I probably wouldn't be as nitpicky as I am. I wish I didnt have any reactions. :(

Yeah, it's really annoying to go out to eat with celiacs who don't have to be careful.