This Symptom Wont Go Away

icesktr189

For the past week I have been having episode of feeling very "off" then my blood pressure will drop a bit (down to 90/60) then immediately i will get stomach cramps and have pretty bad diarrhea. When this happens, my hands and feet start to burn very bad and I usually start passing out. I dont know if I should treat the blood pressure issue, or the diarrhea? (sorry TMI) This stomach cramps are pretty horrible too and they just started. Its not my time of the month either.

Dani,

I can relate to the stomach/intestinal pain and issues from having Crohn's disease. I do know if it is severe diarrhea you will dehydrate which will cause low bp. I have been hospitalized for days due to dehydration. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids such as Gatorade, Jello, Popsicles,Chicken broth, and soups nothing heavy to irritate the stomach and intestines and nothing red in case you have to go to the hospital.If you can't keep any liquids down you probably need to go anyway. STAY HYDRATED! I do not know how this relates to POTS....not informed enough yet. Take Care.

I used to get this a lot and sympathise because diarrhoea and being on the verge of fainting is not a good combination. I felt sick for about half an hour afterwards too and then I am perfectly fine.

It tended to happen if I ate breakfast when my body hadn't got going or if I ate a carbohydrate rich meal (and got post-prandial hypotension). Occasionally it happens if I have a bad reaction to caffeine. It was 95% resolved as soon as I had better heart rate control, by which I mean I started an anti-arrhythmic which proved very effective. I think this stopped the tachycardia response to autonomic triggers (I suspect the problem is blood pooling so there is insufficient blood to deal with digesting food) which must limit the BP slump. You sound like you are describing issues with blood volume being in the wrong place too.

In my case, I don't believe the trigger was GI related in the sense of there being a specific problem with the stomach or food intolerence. I am still wary about eating too much first thing in the day and prefer to have walked a bit first to minimise this happening. I have some peppermint sweets which I find can help calm my stomach afterwards if it does happen.

Hi Dani,

I have episodes that involve all body systems also. For example, I have extreme LUQ abdominal pain which may or may not lead to diarrhea (sometimes I go back to back) & orthostatic intolerance (high HR, high BP), nausea, gagging, impending doom, icy feeling in my chest that flushes down both arms...basically, lots of weird symptoms. I call these episodes "storms". Usually my HR is really labile (can be in low 60's and jump up to hundreds in a split second). I just had one of these storms on Saturday after I had blood drawn on Wednesday & a stress test on Thursday. Like I stated in another post, I see Dysautonomia as the "mother umbrella" for which all these other specific diagnoses come: IBS (check), fibromyalgia (check), Chronic Fatigue syndrome (check), POTS (check)...you get it. So basically all that I posted means I think you are having digestion problems due to your Dys b/c it certainly isn't uncommon for me. I don't faint though b/c my BP rarely drops (I'm usually high or barely low). Also note that any bowel issues can cause a drop in HR (& likely BP) if you incidently stimulate your vagal nerve. Vagal nerve stimulation can definitely cause you to pass out. Here's to wishing you well!