Barium Sulfate

Darlene

I think they need the barium sulfate for the "contrast" part of the CT. This is for a CT of the abdomen?

I've had it before for a couple different studies. Nasty stuff. I had GI issues with it and also had angioedema (lips swelling up huge) with it. I called the radiology dept and they said "that's NOT a reaction we ever see with this so call your doctor and see what he wants you to do."

You might want to call either your doctor or the facility doing the test and ask them. I'm not a radiology person, but I think they need the contrast to see clearly a lot of the organs etc.

Good Luck!

well i tried to drink the barium sulfate, it burned my throat, smells and taste terrible, will they still do the cat scan without it

My husband had an awful time getting that stuff down, out of the two bottles he got down about 1/3 of one. The test worked and he never actually told them he didn't drink it all. Im sure thats not the best thing, but it made him gag so bad he almost got sick.