Is There Any Connection Between Inflammatory (Papulopustular) Rosacea And Small Fiber Neuropathy Or Pots?

Hello all of you rosacea sufferers with POTS! I'm just wondering if you've heard of any link between inflammatory/papulopustular rosacea and small fiber neuropathy or POTS?

I have constant burning of my face as well as my mouth, feet, and hands. But my face gets these little red bumps that are even on my forehead, chest, my ears turn red at times too. Anything that increases my BP will cause redness (talking, standing, caffeine, stress, but sunlight will do it also).

I was put on prednisone for another issue for 10 days and noticed that the skin on my face completely healed. This is just such a painful symptom, and there may be nothing that can be done about it. But it never hurts to ask around! ;)

You know, as I reread this, it makes me think of when I was reading something this past summer.

Somewhere I read that some people with rosacea get better or "cured" with antibiotics.

Then I read somewhere that some think that having an h. pylori infection can cause rosacea. Sorry, but I read about it too long ago to cite where I read that. But, it kind of makes sense, if you take an antibiotic to clear the rosacea, at the same time you might have cleared the h. pylori.

I've been on several antibiotics this year, once for 5 weeks for sinusitis. I've read that doxycycline has been used for rosacea. I've also read that folks with small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) can get rosacea from the bacteria. That might also be the case with me because my small intestine has been tested and shown to have very slow motility. Anyway, all of my dysautonomia and rosacea symptoms worsened at the same time so it's hard to know where one issue stops and another starts. I haven't seriously sought medical treatment yet because there are usually more pressing issues to address.

Anyway, thank you so much for your input and suggestions! At least this symptom is one that most dermatologists would be familiar with.

I have rosecea and treat it with a low dose of doxycycline and metrogel. I wash with cetaphil. I also take a daily probiotic (Culturelle) to counteract any negative effect from the antibiotic and to prevent SIBO.

In my case, it is most definitely related to my MCAD. As I've treated that, the flushing has decreased, which has in turn improved the rosecea.

Have you looked into MCAD- you've sure got the symptoms :rolleyes:

Hugs-

Julie

I also get a hot/burning sensation with facial flushing. It can be really bad after eating or standing too long, but now I seem to be flushed a lot of the time for no reason I can identify. Oh, and I have also had bad episodes around the time my period starts, which can be accompanied by whole body itching, shortness of breath and faster than normal tachycardia. It does seem to be helped by the MCAD meds.

Thanks Julie and Sarah! I did try regular doses of zyrtec and zantac for a few months. I also did a 24 hr urine methylhistamine at Mayo which was negative. I think the next time I see my doc, I'll ask her to start treating the rosacea.

Did the zyrtec & zantac help your skin issues? Your other symptoms? If they did, I would ask your doc about continuing them. They are quite benign and can be very helpful.

It is difficult to catch elevated methylhistamine levels- you have to be pretty symptomatic at the time of the urine collection. I guess I'm saying- THAT alaone doesn't mean you don't have MCAD. A careful history, your response to the MCAD regimen & response when you are not on it- can help firm up a DX. Regardless, no reason not to be treating the rosecea :D

BTW, I recently posted about this on a different thread, Mayo didn't even recognize MCAD as a disorder until quite recently. I guess it's good they were even testing you Baby steps.

All the best-

Julie