Compression Stockings...Need Your Input!

MamaTrain

Hey Everyone!

The cardiologist wrote me a script for compression stockings and I was just wondering if there are better brands to buy or if a certain type are better. I think the thigh high ones would be most comfortable for me but I really dont know. Also when I went to look at them I didnt realize how many brands there was. Is there a better quality one? And if you have used them did they help you? My legs have been freaky cold all the time lately and I hope that will help with that too! Thanks for reading!

KC

Hi KC,

I am sorry that I can't answer the question about the best type of stockings. My daughter just started wearing them. We started with the medium strength, 18-33mmhg (not sure if that is right). She has been so happy since she started wearing them, they are helping a little bit, not a lot. She can stand up a couple more minutes without pain. We will move her up to a stronger strength here soon to see if it helps any more. She is using the full stockings, with panty. They do help to keep her from getting cold so quickly as well.

Robin

I am not sure, there are several good ones. If I did want to do it, my doctor said to use the waist high. I can't go to the bathroom a lot if I use them, too much of a pain. I sometimes wear Sheer Energy hose, but that too is a pain to go to the rest room. Too often with so much water drimking.

When I first bought compression hose, I went to the medical store in my town that sold them. It's definitely more expensive doing that than buying them online, but I wanted to make sure I could try them on and judge before I put money down. Now I use www.brightlifedirect.com to buy my hose. For everyday use, I wear the 30-40mm thigh high Jobst relief. The relief style are a bit less soft than the other Jobst styles, but I've got a toddler and spend a lot of time on my hands and knees. I had originally gotten waist-high (which was suggested by my doc because of my abdominal pooling) but it was just too much of an inconvenience to yank them up and down in order to go to the bathroom. Now I use an abdominal binder when I'm more symptomatic.

My doctor gave me a catalog for supportplus.com. She recommended their brand and told me to wear medium support full hose. The hose last a long time & customer service has always been nice. I did order some thigh high hose also but hated wearing a garter belt. I'm allergic to all adhesives, so a garter belt was the only option. Hose will give me a few extra minutes on my feet.

I have tried several of the Jobst brand stockings: the "Relief", "Opaque", and "Ultra Sheer". All were waist high 30-40mmHg. GET THE ULTRA SHEER!!! The other two types only have compression to the thigh and the panty part is not compression, so I don't feel nearly as good when I wear the cheaper ones. From what I've read, you need to have at least 30mmHg compression and waist high for them to be effective for POTS. They are a little uncomfortable at first but you will totally get used to them. Also they are hard to put on at first but it gets easier :)