Ear Infections

friday7

Over the past two years I've had one ear infection after another. I've have fluid build up in my ears too even though I had ear tubes put in several times. Only the fluid is supposed to drain out of the tubes when that happens.

what usually happens is I spend weeks with my ears clogged and no draining..until I finally get an infection and then they treat that with antibiotics.

I was wondering if anyone else suffers from frequent ear infection or fluid in the ears or even just dizziness.

I've been dizzy and unable to drive most days for about two years straight. I really think the sinus and ears are the reason but they keep ignoring my opinion.

I'm trying to figure out myself why this keeps happening and the doctors (I've seen three plus two GP's) that are not all that interested in figuring out why this keeps happening . I had one say to me ..You can't be perfect..at which point I broke down and cried and said I dont want to be perfect I just want to be able to get out of my house..Didn't seem to get through to him though...He said something like "Just try this ( the same thing we've done ten times before) and see me in two weeks". Sure it was better in two weeks and then in was back two months later. Not that it didn't bother me in between.

I know this is not a sinus forum..but I also know that POTS causes a lot of symptoms..I know I have a weakened immune system, but I think there's more to it.

First off, I have to take six salt tablets a day plus load my food with salt and drink a couple of gallons a water a day. Just to stay hydrated and keep my BP up high enough. I know I can not retain water. My skin, hair, eyes and so dry. I have to put baby oil on my skin to keep it from flaking and in the winter to stop it from cracking. I have been tested for Sjorn's syndrome and it came up negative.

I've seen two neurologists about the dizziness and they can't find anything..One said it might be migraines but he didn't like diagnosis that because it didn't quite fit.

I'm starting to suspect that the dizziness I've been experiencing over the past few years has to has to do with the fact that my body does not retain salt and water. I think the excessive dryness is causing the mucus to become so think that it will not drain.

For instance the last time I went to the GP she said I had fluid in the ears. I told her it wasn't draining, and she could see that. She told me to use the Neti pot more to thin the mucus..But what happened was the ear tubes were so clogged, when I started using the Neti Pot more often, it put my more fluid in my head and it felt like it was going to explode. A few days later I got so sick the room was spinning, and I felt so sick to my stomach I was throwing up. I realize now that you can't put more fluid in your head if you've got an obstruction like that. So I went to the ENT who said my ear tubes were clogged with hard debris. I asked if this could be caused by dryness, he said yes..But wasn't interested in discussing further. He told me to use peroxide to clear the debris which it did..but that's it. They only treat what is happening at the moment they dont' care why it happens and keeps happening.

The thing is I feel at this point I've got enough evidence to suggest that I need more moisture in the sinus..however, it's hard to know what to do. like I said last time I started using the neti pot more the room started spinning. Plus,

I've had fungal infections in the past so I'm scared because I don't want to put my humidifier on too much or do the sinus rinsing too much for fear of creating a fugal infection.

I really wish I had a doctor that would take some times to think this trough with me and suggest different ideas of dealing with it..I hate experimenting on myself for fear of making it worse.:(

Sorry I guess this is a bit of a rant already. But I just came back from another ENT..the one that put the tubes in. ( my original ENT no longer does surgery, he's over 70, so I had to go to this guy to get the ear tubes put it) He doesn't think I have a problem because now the tubes are clear. I told him what had happened but he just ignored it. I told him how my GP saw the fluid in my ears last month, He started going on about how interns don't know anything and and when I told him my ENT said he saw debris in the tubes two weeks ago, he commented on that doctors age. (he's about 70) So apparently to this doctor if your young or old or a patient, you know nothing.

Ugh! I really wish I could see a doctor that treated me as a POTS patient because they might look at things differently.

Okay, end of rant.

im going through the same thing right now.. my sinuses and ears have been messed up this past year to the point my vision is affected. They are very dry and i get pain all through my face and ears. Also have fluid in the ears. Been on tons of antibiotics that help when im taking them, but not after.

I have done tons of research and keep coming back to the same problem: candida overload. Yes many will argue it does not exist, but i do believe if your immune system is compromised and you are on tons of antibiotics after another, then you can have it.

This might not be your case, but i have almost every symptom listed for it. (there are tons) I am going in this week to get tested for candida (the stool is the best way)

i really hope you feel better, and i know how horrible it is to go through all this and be so frustrated that no one can help you. One day you will find your answer, it just takes time. but dont give up!

im going through the same thing right now.. my sinuses and ears have been messed up this past year to the point my vision is affected. They are very dry and i get pain all through my face and ears. Also have fluid in the ears. Been on tons of antibiotics that help when im taking them, but not after.

I have done tons of research and keep coming back to the same problem: candida overload. Yes many will argue it does not exist, but i do believe if your immune system is compromised and you are on tons of antibiotics after another, then you can have it.

This might not be your case, but i have almost every symptom listed for it. (there are tons) I am going in this week to get tested for candida (the stool is the best way)

i really hope you feel better, and i know how horrible it is to go through all this and be so frustrated that no one can help you. One day you will find your answer, it just takes time. but dont give up!

Thanks for the encouragement. I really need it at this point.

I too have had some much antibiotics that I wonder about candida. To me that's why it's so important to look for the cause rather than just treating it. I don't think there are any tests for Candida that my insurance would cover. :(

Thanks for the support though.:)

Do you know if you have allergies? I had ear infections my whole life but haven't had any for the past few years. I learned that I have allergies... dust, mold, pollen, cats.

I used neil med sinus rinse if I have been around anything I am allergic to. If you use it when you have fluid in your ears it will make things worse ( like a neti pot).

If I get a cold a nasal spray helps keep it out of my ears.

Sorry you have these. I know how horribly painful they can be.

Friday

Sorry to hear that you've been having so much trouble with ear infections - it sounds painful and frustrating. I don't know whether it will be helpful, but Dr Andrew Weil's book 'Spontaneous Healing' talks about a cranial osteopath who treated ear infections and a lot of other things with great success. The book only discusses treatment of ear infections in babies and children (on page 35-36 if you can get hold of a copy), but I guess the same principles might apply to adults. Apparently a documentary on it was made through the University of Arizona.

I found myself a cranial osteopath after reading the book, and I wouldn't be doing as well without him. I've tried absolutely every alternative therapy known to man, and this was the only one that worked at all (here in Australia, osteopathy is still fairly alternative).

Maybe something to consider if you get to the point where you feel you've run out of options.

With best wishes

Dianne