Amalgam Fillings

Ashelton80

Amalgam fillings  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am having my 2 amalgam fillings removed next month. Just wanted to see if anyone has them or has had them and had them removed. I am having them removed by a certified holistic dentist that takes all the extra pre-cautions for extracting them and minimizing exposure to mercury vapors. I don't know whether or not they are contributing to my health decline, but either way they are very old and ugly so they need to come out anyway.

I am having my 2 amalgam fillings removed next month. Just wanted to see if anyone has them or has had them and had them removed. I am having them removed by a certified holistic dentist that takes all the extra pre-cautions for extracting them and minimizing exposure to mercury vapors. I don't know whether or not they are contributing to my health decline, but either way they are very old and ugly so they need to come out anyway.

I have eds - and maybe that's why I of four siblings -- have a full mouthful of fillings and crowns. I think 8 crowns and a bunch more fillings. I remember that word being used often - amalgam - though I don't even know what it is. Is there anything you can share here about them ... and what symptoms are attributed to them? What do they put in instead? I always just had the 'silver' colored fillings. Are you saying that the silver stuff is mercury or mercury based? I think if that's the case -- maybe the crowned (over root canal'd teeth) teeth are safe - but the ones still dark silver are a culprit for some peoples health issues? I'm ignorant of this stuff - so anything you can share is helpful!

I answered 5-9, but I actually only have one left. I had then all changed(except one) out by a holistic dentist about 8-9 years ago. My POTS started almost 5 years ago. So, I can't say that having them CAUSED my POTS, and can't say removing them helped my health. Now, who knows if what they put in as a replacement filling didn't contributed to my POTS??? I just don't know.

I answered 5-9, but I actually only have one left. I had then all changed(except one) out by a holistic dentist about 8-9 years ago. My POTS started almost 5 years ago. So, I can't say that having them CAUSED my POTS, and can't say removing them helped my health. Now, who knows if what they put in as a replacement filling didn't contributed to my POTS??? I just don't know.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience sue1234. It is so hard to know what things are or are not contributing to this frustrasting condition. I am on the fence as to whether or not I think they are doing any harm. On one hand I would love to have them out regardless, on the other I am afraid if it isn't contributing to POTS then it will end up just making me sicker for a while. I had the same scenario with my wisdom teeth last summer. They were impacted and starting to get infected and I thought for sure that would help my symptoms once they were out, but no dice. Now am I better off with them out, of course, but didn't help POTS stuff at all. :( I do know that it is important to your overall health to take care of your mouth though. So I guess we shall see.

I gave a 'none' response because I had all of my amalgam fillings removed more than 10 years ago (I think I had 11 or 12). I had no idea whether they were contributing to my illness, but at the very least they were cracking my teeth - unless I had them removed, I would have eventually needed a lot of expensive crowns. The fillings were removed by a holistic dentist (using a dam) who also had me tested for sensitivities to the products that could be used instead.

I was very sick during the period the fillings were replaced and in the 12 months or so afterwards, but my illness was undiagnosed at the time and I didn't have any idea how to go about managing it. I think I would have been much more well (or that I would have recovered more quickly) if I'd known the basics of dysautonomia management - I would have known that there was the possibility that my illness could be aggravated, and I could have taken steps to contain the impact.

I'm really glad I had the fillings replaced, and I'm very, very mindful of my dental health these days. A lot of substances don't agree with me - removing them (or limiting my exposure) really is necessary if I want to maximise my functioning.

Good luck and best wishes

Dianne

Guest tearose

:unsure:

I too had about 11 or 12 and had them replaced with new filling or I needed a crown.

There is still no way to prove or disprove what effect it may have had on my body but knowing that "under" several of those old fillings was decay makes me realize that mercury could have or eventually would have been exposed to the blood supply to the teeth.

I had all mine replaced about 10 years ago also. I don't think it made any difference health wise. But, I do know that having mercury in my mouth wasn't a good thing and I'm glad it's not there. However, that being said - the white stuff they use - who knows what that is and if it too could cause health issues. With the info on plastics and the lining in cans coming out - maybe it's not so good either. I don't know if that's what it is or not - just wondering. I've read studies about the silver fillings and how dangerous it is and how it exposes you to so much mercury and vapors that can cause so many health issues. So, whether having them removed will make much difference with your health - it sure can't hurt = unless there are issues of allergy or the new stuff isn't any better?????????