Disclosing Pots During Job Negotiations

I'm not sure the best way to do this (or at all). I've moved states and just got a call today that I'm pretty assured I'll get a job I interviewed for. My last job I was out of the office for 4 months while sick and working from home. Though I've been doing so much better lately, I do have days where I'm out of commission, and I've been telecommuting and working from home so all is well. My question is, do you disclose having POTS and mentioning you may need to occasionally work from home as needed, or wait to get hired and then talk to them about accommodations? The job is 100% locked up yet, so I'm not sure of the best etiquette, or if it needs to be mentioned. Thanks!

Unless you feel really comfortable that the job is yours or that it would benefit you to reveal in advance, don't reveal any information until after you are hired. Employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities. And to prevent discrimination, you are not required to reveal any information before being hired. However, before accepting a job offer be sure that the company would be able to accommodate your needs with out causing a great burden on the their finances and their staff.

My prayers are with you that you are blessed with a wonderful job that will work with you.

Robin

According to the ADA, you are not required to disclose any information about your disability during the application and interview process. When you reveal your disability and request accomodations is up to you.

16. Do I have to tell the employer during the application process that I might need an accommodation to perform the job?

No. The ADA does not require that an applicant inform an employer about the need for a reasonable accommodation at any particular time, so this information need not be volunteered on an application form or in an interview.

Determining the best moment to tell a prospective employer about the need for reasonable accommodation on the job is a personal decision. Sometimes, applicants are not aware they may need a reasonable accommodation until they have more information about the job, its requirements, and the work environment. Some applicants choose to inform an employer during the application process after they better understand the job and its requirements. Others choose to wait until they have a job offer.

(From The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Full Q&A article found here: Job Applicants and the Americans with Disabilities Act)

I'm glad you've been doing better lately. I hope you get the job!

Rachel