Deciding to get off of Lexapro

violahen

Hi:

I've had POTS all my life. I am now 38. It's been quite a rollercoaster for me as I'm sure you can all understand. Over the past year or so my condition seems to be worsening. My doc is not sure why...perhaps pre-menopause?

In any case, I am currently taking lexapro, provigil, MagOx 400, and cerefolin. I'm still pretty sick and symptomatic.

I really feel that the lexapro isn't doing anything for me. I remember when I first started it over a year ago my doc asked if it was helping. My response was that I still had just as many symptoms as ever, but I didn't seem to "care" or worry about them as much...I felt more "blotto" and unemotional, but not without symptoms.

I have now decided that I would like to try to go off of the lexapro. My brain continues to become more and more foggy and unfocused and I wonder if the lexapro contributes to that. (The cerefolin is supposed to help that) I want to see how much of it is the lexapro and how much is just me.

Has anyone had any good or bad experience with the lexapro tapering process ?

Thanks.

Kristen

NEVER EVER just stop an antidepressant. Any of them should be tapered and done slowly, especially if you've been on it a year. You do not get addicted to them, but you can have what's called a "rebound" effect. The best way to taper is call your doctor and ask him how to do it, as he knows the dose and has the info. It's not like tapering off a benzo at all, in the fact it does go faster, but it does require tapering. Good luck, morgan

My experience with Lexapro was similar -- I felt like my emotions were gone, but I had physical symptoms. I guess it's not bad to have less anxiety about those symptoms ... except my sex drive went down the chute, and I felt like a robot.

I was on 10 mg and cut back to 5 for two weeks, then to 2.5 for a week, then off. I had about three days of withdrawal-type vertigo and yukky fatigue/nausea/etc., then that was it.

Good luck, and welcome. This is a great forum and you will find much support.

Amy

My experience with Lexapro was similar -- I felt like my emotions were gone, but I had physical symptoms. I guess it's not bad to have less anxiety about those symptoms ... except my sex drive went down the chute, and I felt like a robot.

I was on 10 mg and cut back to 5 for two weeks, then to 2.5 for a week, then off. I had about three days of withdrawal-type vertigo and yukky fatigue/nausea/etc., then that was it.

Good luck, and welcome. This is a great forum and you will find much support.

Amy

I can second that. I've been taking 7.5mgs for around a year, and have the same type of emotional 'blunting' you describe. Fun stuff.

Taper? SLOW SLOW SLOW. Its available in a liquid, allthou your doctor probably doesn't know that. So, if you subdivide pills to taper, and need a microfine dose, you can get thte liquid.