Lg social network may help women's hearts

briarrose

Large Social Network May Help Women's Hearts

Women With Large Social Networks Have Lower Heart Disease Risk

By Jennifer Warner

WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD

on Thursday, December 02, 2004

Dec. 2, 2004 --- Having a large social network may help keep women's hearts healthy, according to new research.

The study shows that women with suspected heart disease who had the smallest social networks die at twice the rate of those who had the largest networks of social support.

Researchers also found women that had extensive social contacts and saw them often had lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels and had lower rates of smoking and other factors that reduced their risk of heart disease.

Although previous studies have linked social isolation to a higher risk of death, researchers say this study is among the first to identify a relationship between social support and risk of death in a group of women with suspected heart disease.

The study appears in the November/December issue of Psychosomatic Medicine.

Social Networks Keep Hearts Healthy

In the study, researchers followed 503 older women (average age 59) who were referred to a doctor for suspected heart disease. The women were evaluated and then followed for a little over two years.

Researchers found half as many women who reported having a large social network died during the follow-up period as women who had the smallest social network, and the risk of dying decreased as the size of the women's social network increased.

In addition, the study showed that women with a large social network consistently had lower heart disease risk factors, including:

Lower blood glucose levels

Lower smoking rates

Less fat around the midsection (waist-hip ratio)

Lower blood pressure rates

Lower rates of diabetes

Women with large social networks also showed fewer signs of clogged arteries as shown by angiogram images.

Researchers say the results reinforce the importance of evaluating social support networks in treating women at risk for heart disease.

Guest tearose

So this may be why I have low blood pressure??? :) I'm teasing!

Thanks for telling us we are good medicine for each other!

I wonder if those who leave for awhile really know we do think about them? Are they out there floating and unable to post? Do they need us to yell out to them?

If you are someone out there who needs to be reminded...this means YOU! Then consider this your invitation to join in...

I miss the spunky viewpoint of herdswoman and today is divine sparks' anniversary of joining date...hope you guys are okay.

Thanks again for the thought spark briarrose, I needed once again to refresh my brain.

Well, back to my work, tearose