Qualified For Dr. Levine'S Protocol

Ashelton80

He developed the protocol based off of Nasa's program to recondition astronauts when they return to gravity from being in space. Apparently they have orthostatic intolerance when they return. I'm not sure what all the details are, but basically they take your 10 minute stand test results and develop target heart rate zones while exercising. All of the exercises at first are sitting using a recumbent bike or a rower. It also includes weight training. I think during the third month you move up to standing exercises such as treadmill or eliptical. It reconditions the body and builds low blood volume. Now, I absolutely do not think I have POTS because I am deconditioned, but I am definitely deconditioned because I have POTS. I have been bed bound for 2-3 months at a time a few times over the last 18 months. My once muscular calves are completely gone. Absolutely no tone in them or my quads any more. So, for me I am going for a layering effect to my recovery. First, tons of salt (6-8,000 mg) a day from food sources (no tablets for me). Very healthy diet, compression stockings and atlas orthogonal chiropractor. All of these have made a big difference, but I am still limited. I am taking Vitamin C for my adrenals and adding in b12 shots today. Probably add in Vit D and tanning bed once or twice a week and then I will start the exercise in 2 weeks. That's my plan for now. I'll let you know how it works :)

You don't have to go to Dallas to be in the program. You just contact Dr. Levine and he works with your doctor. You might be able to get into his program as long as you are not on any heart meds. I don't see why he wouldn't consider people from outside the US unless his grant will only work for those in the States. Just contact his office and they will let you know if you can apply to his program. Ashelton80 I do not believe you get vit d from a tanning bed it has to be from natural sunlight. There are many studies out there saying tanning beds are not good to use.

Maggie

Your doctor has to do a stand upright ten minute stand for heart rate and blood pressure reading every three minutes. He doesn't want patients on meds for heart rate or blood pressure. There might be other reasons to be excluded but I think those are the main ones. I found an exercise physiologist in my area and had her make up a plan for me to use. Dr. Levine works with an exercise physiologist for his protocol. I found this to be better then Dr. Levine's program. It's customed tailored to meet my needs and I have her to right in my area if I run into problems, she can answer and help resolve. This would work for all those who don't meet his criteria.

Maggie