Influenza

Vlinder

Last year I get the influenza vaccination for the first time. That was because the still were thinking I had a heartproblem.

This year we know I have POTS.

My question is if the influenza vacination is necesery for me. When you have dysaotonmie/POTS is influenza worser for you. Can you be ill from the vacination or getting an heavier reaction on it.

I asked it at the dutch people who makes the vacination, but they dont'know an answer on this question.

Hope you can help me, so I can desire what to do.

I get much sicker from viruses than anyone else I know. I've gotten the flu shot every year since I've been ill. My doctor advocates for me to get it, and the H1N1 vaccine, since folks with neurological illnesses are documented to have more complications from H1N1. I'll do anything to avoid getting the flu, and haven't had any problems with the vaccine.

It seems to take much, much longer for me to recover from viruses and other infections, and they are usually accompanied by an exacerbation of my dysautonomia. BUT, last year I was declined a vaccination by the nurse administering H1N1 vaccinations at my office, and then my doctor declined to vaccinate me - I think she was unsure how my body would react, and she didn't want to bring on a big exacerbation.

I haven't caught the flu for the past couple of years - I guess I've just been lucky. I also rest for a month in mid-winter because my illness is aggravated by the cold - this reduces my exposure to people, so it reduces my exposure to viruses.

Dianne

I received the regular flu vaccine last year, but not the H1N1 vaccine. In my area they did not receive the vaccine until very late in the year, and by that time I had been exposed multiple times but hadn't caught it, so I left well enough alone.

This year I was vaccinated. I had no problems with the vaccine, even with the new H1N1 component. I have never had the flu, but I do have severe reactions to viruses that tend to make my POTS worse and it takes me a much longer time to recover from the virus, and even longer to get back to normal POTS-wise.

I receive flu Jab and H1N1 every year well the H1N1 only last 2 years but it seems fine doesnt cause symptoms im sure its different for everyone but when i get flu takes longer to recover and it also means more fatigue em no please! lol so yeah im up for whatever is gonna make me feel better and less sick. hope our comments support you.// good luck. ;)

Vlinder-

I totally understand your fear and confusion. My son sees a top ANS doc at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Peter Rowe. He recommend that IF you have received the vaccination in the past without a problem, then definitely get it again. If you had any strange reaction to the influenza vaccination in the past, avoid it. Each person with dysautonomia reacts differently.

I have a weakened immune system and have already gotten my vaccination. My arm was quite sore and bruised for over a week. It is better now. I also became ill following the shot BUT, I had lunch with a friend who was contagious with a virus at the same time. I am convinced that the flu vaccine gave me NO ill effects- except for a sore arm :rolleyes:

The vaccine in the US this year has the traditional influenza virus AND the H1N1 in it- two for one :)

If you decide to get it, hope it goes smoothly-

Julie