Want To Get Pregnant

villen

Hello:)

I haven`t been here very much, but I read a lot of posts and get many good advices. I am a young woman (age 28), suffering with heart racing/pounding, dizzinesss/pressure in chest when standing up, muscle fatigue etc. Lots of POTS symptoms and anxiety basically. My heart is fine, its my nervous system that is wrecked:/

My biggest dream is to get pregnant and become a mother, but my health is a big issue for me now. It makes me sad, because I feel like the biggest thing in life is to become a mother, and it feels so unfair that this symptoms and my bad shape, prevents me from achieving it. I can`t think of stopping the betablockers I am taking, even if I feel pretty unwell on them. I have been on them for about 7 years. I am terrified how my body will respond to a pregnancy, but I don`t feel like I can`t wait until its too late to become a mother. I have a good relationship and he wants to become a father as well:) I know that I am very fertile, my period is very regularly. I read here that many of you, despite lots of symptoms, have delievered healthy babies. its good to know. Is it possible my symptoms will improve when pregnant? If I have to stay on a betablocker (atenolol), is that very risky for the baby, and is it absolutely necessary to wean it off when becoming pregnant? (sorry about my bad english- its not my language;)

Hugs, Villen:)

It would be best to consult with a high risk ob/gyn on this. It is possible to take beta blocker, and other meds, during pregnancy. Sure it is not ideal, but the dr needs to weigh your needs, the risk to the pregnancy, etc to make the best decision. Beta blockers can reduce blood flow to the placenta, so can cause growth retardation. This would need to be watched by the dr. Plenty of women have taken beta blockers during pregnancy and had healthy babies tho.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I got to the point in my early 30's that having a baby was my highest priority. (I did not know I had POTS at the time). I got very sick with POTS during the pregnancy and post-partum--finally diagnosed at 3 or 4 months post partum. Despite that my daughter was born at term and very healthy. I don't know of any evidence that POTS is dangerous per se to a pregnancy. In my case, my POTS greatly worsened with pregnancy. For many others, symptoms improve. I don't know that it can be predicted for an individual, other than through their previous experience.

I wish you the best.

Hello:)

I haven`t been here very much, but I read a lot of posts and get many good advices. I am a young woman (age 28), suffering with heart racing/pounding, dizzinesss/pressure in chest when standing up, muscle fatigue etc. Lots of POTS symptoms and anxiety basically. My heart is fine, its my nervous system that is wrecked:/

My biggest dream is to get pregnant and become a mother, but my health is a big issue for me now. It makes me sad, because I feel like the biggest thing in life is to become a mother, and it feels so unfair that this symptoms and my bad shape, prevents me from achieving it. I can`t think of stopping the betablockers I am taking, even if I feel pretty unwell on them. I have been on them for about 7 years. I am terrified how my body will respond to a pregnancy, but I don`t feel like I can`t wait until its too late to become a mother. I have a good relationship and he wants to become a father as well:) I know that I am very fertile, my period is very regularly. I read here that many of you, despite lots of symptoms, have delievered healthy babies. its good to know. Is it possible my symptoms will improve when pregnant? If I have to stay on a betablocker (atenolol), is that very risky for the baby, and is it absolutely necessary to wean it off when becoming pregnant? (sorry about my bad english- its not my language;)

Hugs, Villen:)

We definitely need to make a trying to get knocked up forum here. Or maybe just a club. With shirts.

I agree with MomofG, that it's best to ask an OB/GYN about it. When I had my autonomic testing done at Mayo, I asked the neuro there about getting pregnant with POTS. He said I should be okay, except we'd have to watch for high BP which happens during some pregnancies among healthy patients anyway (and my BP goes up when I stand which makes me more predisposed to having high BP while pregnant). I did see a high-risk OB when we were trying to conceive initially, but then he felt I was stable enough to be watched by my regular OB/GYN. I was told I could take my carvedilol while trying to conceive, but would need to get off of it if we get pregnant.

So my advice would be to get opinions from your current doctor(s), especially an OB/GYN who knows about your illness.