Flu Shot

jenwic

O.K., I know we did this topic to death last year, but I got my flu shot yesterday and starting about 11:00 last night I have felt bad. My heart rate is up some (haven't officially checked it but I can just tell), I'm kind of queasy, and my chest feels tight like my asthma is flared. Has anyone else felt bad after a flu shot this year?

Does an acute inflammatory response temporarily attenuate parasympathetic reactivation?

Jae SY, Heffernan KS, Park SH, Jung SH, Yoon ES, Kim EJ, Ahn ES, Fernhall B.

Clin Auton Res. 2010 Aug;20(4):229-33. Epub 2010 May 1.

Department of Sports Informatics, The Health and Integrative Physiology Laboratory, University of Seoul, 90 Jeonnong-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, 130-743, South Korea. syjae@uos.ac.kr

Abstract

PURPOSE: Although observational studies suggest that inflammatory markers are associated with autonomic nervous system function, the causal relationship of this is not clear. We tested the hypothesis that acute inflammation will temporarily attenuate vagal reactivation as measured by heart rate recovery after exercise.

METHODS: In this double-blind randomized study, 24 healthy subjects were assigned to receive either an influenza vaccine (n = 15) as a model to generate a systemic inflammatory response or a sham vaccine (n = 9). Heart rate recovery after exercise testing was used as an index of parasympathetic nervous function and was calculated as the difference between maximal heart rate during the test and heart rate 1 and 2 min after cessation of exercise. Both blood analysis and treadmill exercise stress tests were conducted before and 48 h after each vaccination.

RESULTS: Inflammatory marker, log C-reactive protein (1.9 +/- 1.2 to 2.8 +/- 1.4, p < 0.05) was significantly increased after the influenza vaccine. Heart rate recovery 1 was significantly attenuated 48 h after the influenza vaccination (23.4 +/- 6.4 to 20.5 +/- 4.9, p < 0.05) but not sham vaccination.

CONCLUSIONS: These findings show that acute inflammation is associated with a temporary deterioration in cardiac autonomic nervous system function in healthy subjects.

PMID: 20437076

Unfortunately, it appears that vaccination causes a "temporary deterioration" of cardiac ANS function with even healthy people, so its got to do it doubly so with us. I don't know if I will be getting mine this year; it is a which is worse scenario, the flu or the vaccine. Try to rest up and not stress yourself! :unsure: